congested

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

onalimb
Allowance Winner

congested

Postby onalimb » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:47 am

My foal had a cold a month ago runny nose with greenish discharge he is over it now but still seems congested sounding when he eats from ground level especially when his mouth is full of grain, If he eats at chest level he does not weeze only when eating at ground level. Do you think it is a sinus kind of thing?? he acts fine, not sluggish, eyes are bright, plays fine.??
onalimb

Intrinsic Worth
Starters Handicap

Postby Intrinsic Worth » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:10 pm

I'd put him on a course of antibiotics for 10 days and see if it clears it up. If it doesn't, or it comes back after the antibiotics, have a vet pull a blood on him.
All men are equal on the turf - or under it.

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:48 pm

Allergies. I have had a few foals do this. Found out after all kinds of anti-biots, decongestants, and other meds and treatments they had allergies and that elavating their feed and hay was a help. BUT....having the ehad down does help to clear their lungs as well as sinuses. Does he cough even on turn out? If not then I would have him checked for allergies. Is there balk saw dust, loose bedding or hay stored in your barn? All allergens.

My old stallion had to be kept on Clenbuterol to help with his as well as Azium (Dex) when he was real bad.
Fins to the Left....

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:41 pm

For allergies MSM will do the number on your TB. Add 2 raw cloves of garlic to his feed tub and mix it in his feed and you will beat that virus.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:09 am

Okay, I'll bite, what is the "ehad"?? Could be allergies, wetting down hay/grain helps tremendously, and NO SAWDUST. I would try a few things (allergy testing is a small fortune) but if it persists despite "allergy management techniques" I would scope for a guttural pouch infection.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....