needs weight

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Bondama
Grade III Winner

Needs weight

Postby Bondama » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:05 am

Calf Manna is a supplement - there's a lot of different things in there. Here is a link to the manufacturer's website which may be more helpful:

http://www.mannapro.com/CM_home.htm

My hay guy tells me there are two types of coastal hay, one being "horse quality" which is what I get, obviously. We are in Florida, and he grows his hay here in Florida, too. I don't know about salt content in the hay itself, though. Might be a good research project!

Lindros
Yearling

Postby Lindros » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:47 pm

Ricebran, Ricebran, Ricebran. That's all I can say. I love the stuff! It works really well, doesn't make your horse high and your horse will have the nicest coat in the barn!
By the way, I don't like the oil. I use the pelleted ricebran.

monicabee
Allowance Winner

Postby monicabee » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:05 pm

What's an appropriate amount of black oil sunflower seeds to start with? I know a 17 YO mare that could definitely benefit, if she will eat them. She doesn't care for corn oil, but is getting senior feed and chopped alfalfa, in addition to good grass hay. She is coming back from a bad situation where she was rail-thin. Because of her rather hot temperament (yes, she is a TB), she is not one you want to be pumping grain into. The sunflower seeds should add calories. What about calcium/phosphorus balance?

The author of the following article puts a lot of emphasis on making sure that you maintain that balance when adding various feeds. Rice bran, for instance, which provides almost all phosphorus, would need to be balanced with alfalfa, which is calcium-rich.

http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/Calcium-Phosphorus.shtml

She doesn't mention sunflower seeds, but I think they are phosphorus rich, which should work okay with the alfalfa.

Lindros
Yearling

Postby Lindros » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:15 pm

Almost all manufacturers of rice bran add calcium to their product. So that you end up with a balanced calcium to phosphorus ratio. Just check the feed tag.