Synovitis in tendon above knee

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Synovitis in tendon above knee

Postby vineyridge » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:01 pm

My 21 yo OTTB has always had dreadful knees. When worked hard, they have always had a tendency to swell. In the 5 years I've had him, he hasn't worked hard, so I haven't had to deal with swollen knee. :roll:

Couple of months ago, he developed a puffy swelling around the tendon above the knee in the front. Vet says it's synovitis, and we've been treating it with DMSO and dex slathered on twice a day all the way around the front of the knee. Horse hates the treatment. I'm on the third bottle of this mixture, and, while one side of the tendon is no longer puffy, the other side is.

Cold hosing doesn't help, but icing does. Only problem is that it puffs right back up. He's not lame on that leg, but I'm afraid that it will harden and he will be permanently lame.

Can y'all suggest something else to try? A poultice with bandage, or some kind of ice liniment?

What is used on racers with synovitis above the knee?
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

Barelystable
Weanling

Postby Barelystable » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:38 pm

Hey All~

I am also interested in hearing responses to this thread. I have a 3 yr old Quarter Horse that recently (well, 3 mo ago) severed his front extensor tendon, about 1 1/2 inches above his knee. Well, the wound has almost completely healed over, but it has left quite the "bump" and I was wondering if he could possibly have a similar problem. ?? who knows...I can't wait to hear any ideas. :wink:

Thanks!

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Postby kezeli » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:50 am

[quote="Barelystable"]Hey All~

I am also interested in hearing responses to this thread. I have a 3 yr old Quarter Horse that recently (well, 3 mo ago) severed his front extensor tendon, about 1 1/2 inches above his knee. Well, the wound has almost completely healed over, but it has left quite the "bump" and I was wondering if he could possibly have a similar problem. ?? who knows...I can't wait to hear any ideas. :wink:

Thanks![/quote]

I had a yearling filly that ran through a fence and cut her extensor tendon below the knee, vet wanted to do Sx owner wouldn't so I bandaged. Well she ended up winning at allowance level and with "quite q bump", Wonder what she would have done with the Sx??

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:02 pm

Ive had luck with Hyaronic Acid and MSM both are anti-inflamatory and will cool down the hot spots and rebuild the senoval fluid in the joints.

Ask your vet for the dosage.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:44 pm

Louis might mean hyaluronic acid, which is, in fact, synovial fluid. MSM is usually given in conjunction with glucosamine for rebuilding joint cartilage (it stimulates circulation among other things). I don't really see how either will help with a ligament or tendon issue.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....