Broken hoof pastern axis???

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

clafairy
Weanling

Broken hoof pastern axis???

Postby clafairy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:35 pm

My farrier tells me that this is what my mare has that is making her lame - I dont remember ever having had this much trouble with her being lame before and I have put her in foal not knowing before hand about this conformation fault. What are some possible outcomes for this?

The thing is I have booked her in at the vets and I dont have any problems with taking my mare to a vet - they know her by name! Its just, well I kinda need the money as much as poss for the pregnancy, and now this! Nothings ever simple in her world! Also, shes 17 and I really would hate to retire her after the foal is born, I only wish I could get some riding in now before Shes too heavy!

Could ANYONE give me more info o this subject - Anything is welcome.
Thanks!

clafairy
Weanling

Postby clafairy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:16 am

Well, we went to the vets - turns out i have myself a case of navicular syndrom ( I had come to expect this beforeI got to the vets) but the xrays were far better than either yselft or the vet had expected so hopefully good corrective shoeing should help her.

Anyone had experience with Navicular, since it is the typical TB conformation Im told can cause this, I figured someone must have some knowledge here?

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:34 am

The long term prognosis for this diagnosis is not good. Shoeing techniques have improved to help. Your farrier can attempt to raise the heel of the affected hoof providing day to day temporary relief. Unfortunately, chronic lameness is probably what you will have to deal with. Some Vets recommend severing the affected nerves in the pastern, but today we know this is an unwise and ineffective technique as the nerves in most cases resolve in a few years making the problem even worse. Your horse for all intents and purposes is not a candidate for the track or most athletic disciplines. Continued maintenance of the hoof will make your horse a candidate for pleasure riding at the very least. So sorry, I was a farrier for over 30 years before I retired and there is nothing more depressing than to get a diagnosis like this.

clafairy
Weanling

Postby clafairy » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:39 am

Thanks for your response - I have spoken to my farrier, he is going to replace her natural balance shoes and place them slightly further back and trim her toe even shorter, Unfortunatley we have already lost one shoe so placing them even further back could just mean more lost shoes! He is also going to attempt to fit them wider. For now this is all I can do as before I knew about the problem I had my mare put to stud and am expecting a foal in May.

I am hopeful that the shoeing will make her more comfortable and then after the pregnancy I will try devils claw if she is sore. I dont want to sever the nerve as I have heard when the nerve regenerates it can be worse so I am looking at some holistic remedies for her that might releive her a little - Not everyones cup of tea I know but whatever helps her...

Luckily Im not a jumper and schooling is right up my alley so we should be able to continue light work, hopefully for much longer : )