Acepromazine

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

madelyn

Acepromazine

Postby madelyn » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:34 am

I've been reading through my horsebook shelf, and found an interesting book, "Understanding Equine Medications." It is a fairly new edition; anyhow I came across a startling bit under Acepromazine. Under adverse side effects, "can cause penile paralysis." Since I have used Ace on one of my stallions to work with control issues -- he is not paralyzed and is quite fertile -- I was wondering if anyone had experienced this using Ace. Further, is there more data as to whether paralysis is likely to occur IV, IM or Oral?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

mary syers
Allowance Winner

ACE

Postby mary syers » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:03 pm

Its one of the things they warm us about in vet school. They are unable to draw the penis back into the sheath. Does not effect fertility, as far as I know. Get your vet to give you some Rompum or Detomadine. Safer for your stallion. Mary Syers

Intrinsic Worth
Starters Handicap

Postby Intrinsic Worth » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:15 pm

Actually I have heard of a stallion becoming sterile after having been given Ace.
All men are equal on the turf - or under it.

adrienne
Allowance Winner

Postby adrienne » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:39 pm

At most places I've worked its been complete nonono with ace on stallions or geldings. It's not an everytime thing, but something that can happen. I figure it's better safe than sorry when there are other options available.

~Adrienne