Hard to catch filly. Help please.

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

KKT
Newborn

Hard to catch filly. Help please.

Postby KKT » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:05 pm

I just bought a five month old filly. She is sweet in every way except she doesn't like to be caught. She is ok as long as she is wearing a halter but when it's removed, she's gone. Right now she is in a small lot with halter on. I want to give her every chance to change her attitude as she is a horse I'd like to keep. What can I do to make her want to be caught? Thank you in advance, K

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:14 pm

You just need to spend some time in the pen with her. Just play with her and pat her. The more she sees you the less flighty she will be when you go to catch her. At her age this behavior isn't that strange, she just may not have been handled extensively before you got her. I would just leave the halter on for a little while.
I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else. ~ Daria

KamiBrooks
Starters Handicap

Postby KamiBrooks » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:58 pm

I had a mare that was like that. I'd go out and work with her in the pasture, either brushing or even just scratching her good spots. Then just leave her out there. I'd do this at least 2/3 of the time I spent with her at first. Eventually, she decided me walking up to her in pasture was a good thing.

Another thing is that I clap my hands to bring everybody in for feeding... so if I need them in, all I have to do is walk out near the barn, clap my hands and they all come running in and grab stalls. Then, I make a point of giving them at least a handful of grain if I've called them in. This is also a big help if they get out of the fence, I clap my hands, they all start running for the barn. Now if I could just get the stupid dog to do the same.

Kami

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:43 am

What happens when you do catch her? Farrier? Shots? Worming?

I have some mares that are Really Hard to Catch. But we have a rule about no halters in the pasture. Usually I will head out to the group. I will stop and "touch shoulders" of several, and pat them, working my way to the one I want. Do NOT make eye contact with the horse you want. If the horse walks, walk alongside. When you can touch the shoulder you can slide a rope around the neck. Most of mine lead perfect with just a rope. Use your body language and their body language to "lead" and direct, as a mare would. Get her to "hook up" with you like she would a mare. Spend time with her. Make it pleasant for her. She is a young filly who needs a leader. Practice catching her, and then release her. Vary the routine. Get her some treats. When she gets caught, she gets a carrot or apple piece or nibble of some kind. Above all do NOT get frustrated or angry -- horses can feel the slightest shift in your mood.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

KKT
Newborn

Thanks For Advice

Postby KKT » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:50 am

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Every time I walk out of the house I go to her pen with a handfull of grass/grain, etc. She comes to the fence for the treats and to get petted. I also take her into the yard 2 or 3 times a day so she can eat grass. This filly already leads, loads, stands tied and picks up her feet when asked so she has had quite a bit of handling by the previous owner. But even in the small lot I can't get near her if the halter is off. This is the first foal I've purchased since I have mares who foal every year. They are handled from day one until they are sold and have never had a problem with them being handled. This filly is also the first gaited horse on the farm so that alone shows she has something special about her that makes me want to keep her. Anyway, I'll keep working with her and hope she comes out of it or else she will be sold next spring along with the others. Thank you again for taking the time to respond. K

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:06 am

KamiBrooks wrote:Another thing is that I clap my hands to bring everybody in for feeding... so if I need them in, all I have to do is walk out near the barn, clap my hands and they all come running in and grab stalls. Then, I make a point of giving them at least a handful of grain if I've called them in. This is also a big help if they get out of the fence, I clap my hands, they all start running for the barn. Now if I could just get the stupid dog to do the same.

It works... I do the same when it's feeding time. Another thing I've taught my husband (who used to try chasing after them) is to simply ignore them when you're in the pasture-- many times, their curiosity will make them come over to you! :wink: And then you can give her a treat to reinforce the behavior...

Good luck! :D

KamiBrooks
Starters Handicap

Postby KamiBrooks » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:35 am

Maybe when you go to her pen, make a point of going inside, not just to the outside of the fence. My horses think fences are magic and keep things out just as good as keeping them in.

Also, why don't you take the halter off now. If you can live without being able to catch her a couple days, just take it off. Give her treats inside her paddock until she's solid with that. Then, carry the halter or a rope with you and make it obvious, like in front of you or hanging over your wrist when she takes the treat. Once she's comfortable with that, rub her with the halter or rope while your giving her the treat. That way you're not sneaking up on her with it and she'll realize that just because you're carrying a halter doesn't mean she's gonna work. Then you can halter her, give her the treat and take it back off.

Maybe her issue is that she's wearing a halter all the time, so when it finally comes off, she just doesn't want it on again?

Either way, it would build her trust that you or the halter aren't always a bad thing.

You might also consider stalling her overnight for a while, where she is without halter in the stall, gets morning feed, haltered and put in the paddock without a halter, then gets haltered and brought in at night. She'll learn that the halter means we're just going to get food and it will come right back off. Even if you put her back out and don't stall her over night, she'll learn that the halter means we're going in to get food.

hope this helps

Kami

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:12 pm

Giving it as much time, as you need.
But remind this as long as the halter is there, you,re able to lead her.
Maybe she is not stupid, but quite the opposite, a very smart filly who is able to look after herself.
The others were given some very good advice.

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:48 pm

Yes, excellent advice. I wish there were more such talented and thoughtful people in the horse world.

Just guessing - for this filly, go in the pasture and ignore her. I think she is playing with you. Don't play the game, and perhaps she will come to you out of interest, as mentioned above.

I'm also guessing she will be a dominant mare. ;)

Good luck.
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:38 pm

The halter only means, in human words, no independence, no freedom.
Try this one, i,ve been dooiing it in Eire. Go and sit in the pasture somewhere, eating something, drinking something, out of curiousity most horses will come, also the filly, feeding some out of the hand and so on.
In time she will follow you without a halter, when winter comes, she will naturally come to you, no rushes etc. In the winter you,ll bring her in without a halter, just take time.
I suppose she,ll be eager more than enough.