fluid on the knee

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

fluid on the knee

Postby zinn21 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:19 am

I have 2yold filly who developed lameness and fluid in the right knee while training. It occurred after her second slow (29 second) 1/4 mile breeze. I ex rayed which revealed a slight spur. The vet recommended 90 days rest and stated he would not hesitate to put her in training again. I have 90% decided to retire her and breed her next spring. Her knee has a lot of fluid remaining. After 30 days rest, she moves on it sound and there is no heat in the knee.

Will the fluid remain or eventually leave over time? Should I remove the fluid? Are there any medications that will remove the fluid?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:28 am

You could try to sweat her knee... actually MSM is a dietary additive that seems to have very beneficial results with joints. It delivers a mild analgesic, increases circulation, etc. We feed it to horses getting over things like ankle surgery.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

sarahcook
Suckling

Postby sarahcook » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:59 pm

I have a 9 year old racehorse, that is still running..sometimes..he didn't start until he was three..and has had quite a spaced out career..since he gets a few months off in the winter..and the WHOLE summer off..tends to be chubby so it takes a while to get him fit. He's got spurs in both knees, resulting in fluid. Knees LOOK awful, but he is a 100 percent sound, never took a lame step, the vets see no hesitation in running him. We don't do anything to him, and he's fine.. Its more of a cosmetic thing. I would be hesitant b.c she is young, his didn't come until he was like 5 or 6, but I'm not big on seeing "unraced" broodmares either.
Most two year olds need a rest before their three year old year anyways....a few months and they will grow and mature alot.

sarahcook
Suckling

Postby sarahcook » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:04 pm

I have a 9 year old racehorse, that is still running..sometimes..he didn't start until he was three..and has had quite a spaced out career..since he gets a few months off in the winter..and the WHOLE summer off..tends to be chubby so it takes a while to get him fit. He's got spurs in both knees, resulting in fluid. Knees LOOK awful, but he is a 100 percent sound, never took a lame step, the vets see no hesitation in running him. We don't do anything to him, and he's fine.. Its more of a cosmetic thing. I would be hesitant b.c she is young, his didn't come until he was like 5 or 6, but I'm not big on seeing "unraced" broodmares either.
Most two year olds need a rest before their three year old year anyways....a few months and they will grow and mature alot.