Dropped Hip/ Hunter Bump

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

LessIsMore17
Weanling

Dropped Hip/ Hunter Bump

Postby LessIsMore17 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:47 am

I read somewhere online that a "dropped hip" isn't a term that is used in the horse world, but that is what my vet has determined is wrong with my horse. He's visibly lower/ dropped on the left side of his haunches. He "stabs" the ground with his left hind during transitions and doesn't bring it up under him he will also drag his toe some. My horse was also diagnosed years ago with a hunter bump so I'm wondering if this problem could be associated with that. My vet's recommendation is 6 months of rest in a small turn- out paddock (he's not a canidate for stall rest) and no work. Loading dose of Adequan and then continue after that monthly.

Anyone here dealt with the same type of problem? Did you use a Chiroprator? My vet also warms me that he may never recover fully. He's a 14 YO OTTB, I've done mostly light dressage work with him, 1st, 2nd level, but haven't shown in 8 years. :roll:

pembroke
Allowance Winner

Dropped Hip

Postby pembroke » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:30 am

Find a horse chiropractor in your area. This problem will not go away by itself. The sooner the hip gets put back in place, the better your final results will be. The hunter bump is not the cause of this. Most vets have not studied chiropractic techniques and haven't a clue.

If you do not know any chiros, try calling some massage therapists. One of them is bound to know of a equine chiro.