skin irritation

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

skin irritation

Postby mightyhijames » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:29 am

i know this is nominal information but i have a yearling that just came in who's developed small, hard, scabby bumps pretty much all over now. i'm wondering if it could have anything to do with easing him onto good grass where before, he was totally on grain and hay. they don't seem to bother him, he's not itchy or sensitive to touch. thoughts?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:18 am

It actually sounds more like botflies. The larval stage. It causes hard round scabs that when you scrape them off have a bit of pus and blood in them.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

smilton
Yearling

Postby smilton » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:31 am

What about rain rot? "dermatopholis sp" or "sporidium gypsum"
Was he inside before and now resides outside?

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:13 am

thanks for the input.

from what i read on the internet, it sounds like rain rot. going on that assumption, i ordered a spray called resolve rain rot/rain scald. has anyone had any experience with it?

smilton
Yearling

Postby smilton » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:26 am

10% bleach solution works too and it is cheaper. Use the bleach solution on all tack and brushes because the stuff is contagious. Iodine soaps help too.

smilton
Yearling

Postby smilton » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:30 am

If you want to be sure that is what it is you can submit a couple of the clumps of hair (with the scab attached) to a vet lab. Under a microscope dermatophylis sp. looks like train tracks. They will also be able to tell you if it is another type of fungus or bacterial infection. Testing runs anywhere from 10-40 bucks depending on the lab.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:38 am

I mix up a bit of bleach and betadine with water in a spray bottle. Works great.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:15 am

mightyhijames wrote:thanks for the input.

from what i read on the internet, it sounds like rain rot. going on that assumption, i ordered a spray called resolve rain rot/rain scald. has anyone had any experience with it?

The barn where I ride has several mares who have rain rot, and that spray works very well.

After you have the scabs and all cleared up, go to the pharmacy and get a bottle of iodine solution. Put about 2 tablespoons of iodine in water and sponge your horse with this once a week. This helps prevent recurrences--and you might consider preventively treating your other horses with it.

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:41 am

thanks for all the input, this is very helpful.