2 questions

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

2 questions

Postby sulphurfire » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:58 am

I'm getting a new horse sometime in the next week or so, he's being culled from a breeding farm(not the quality they want). I have two questions regarding him, 1st how long after I geld him can he be safely turned out with my mare(Idon't want a surprise baby) ?He has ringbone, no apparent issues with it been off track for at least two years. And I know very little about ringbone, but if it doesn't give him major problems he'll be retrained for riding(pleasure). IS ringbone a deterioting condition(I know that its chronic) and are there any controls to keep him riding sound?
"The rewards, whether for winning or for losing, offer almost irresistible temptations to race a two-year-old more times than are good for them." John Hay Whitney at the annual testimonial dinner in October 1963 for the Thoroughbred Club of America

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:54 am

Regarding gelding, it can take about two weeks for all of the seminal fluid to clear out. If, however, you want to ensure he won't try to cover mares, that can take MUCH longer, up to six months until the hormones readjust.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:11 pm

Thanks Madelyn thats what I needed to know, he'll make horse number 4 on 3 1/2 acres after the studdish behavior is gone. I have a mare and 2 weanlings so I wanted to make sure he wasn't going to act like a normal active stallion when they do get turned loose together.
"The rewards, whether for winning or for losing, offer almost irresistible temptations to race a two-year-old more times than are good for them." John Hay Whitney at the annual testimonial dinner in October 1963 for the Thoroughbred Club of America

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:30 pm

If he starts mounting your mares, that behavior might continue indefinitely, long after he is potent.

Just my two cents worth.
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:37 am

Well it turned out to be a no go on getting the horse. The prson I was to get him from decideded to retain breeding rights, so I couldn't geld him and turns out he is a 1988 model. And I'm not setup for a breeding operation.Allowance winner only and not a good enough page on him IMHO to keep him as a stallion and invest in fence in setting up for breeding, at least not for me....
Of course IMO you could geld the majoirty of stallions out there.

aurora
Starters Handicap

Postby aurora » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:44 pm

An '88 model? Wow, at his age, even if you gelded him I would think you would have an uphill battle with his behavior. After being a stallion for 17 years, I would think that he would never readjust to a gelding's life. The first horse I ever bought was a OTTB that was a 5 year old and had been recently gelded. He forever fancied himself a stallion. Many of them, once they learn that behavior never forget.