At wits end with hard to catch filly

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

jumper77
Maiden Special Weight

Postby jumper77 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:15 am

I read somewhere that you should keep a piece of a chestnut (the little thing on the inside of their legs, not the nut) in your pocket when you go out to catch them. You know how they grow and kind-of peel off occasionally? It's supposed to attract them because it carries the scent of a horse. No mention if it's supposed to be from a different horse, but seems like it should be. "Hey, you sure smell like me. Are you me? Am I you?"
Anyway, this sounds a little hokey and I've never tried it myself, (my horses wait by the gate at dinner time) but I'd be interested to hear if it works from someone who's tried it.
Probably not much help, but sometimes weird things work.

jumper77
Maiden Special Weight

Postby jumper77 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:17 am

A more sensible thing to try than the chestnut thing...
Sounds like she just has a halter issue. Try going out, putting the halter on (once you finally catch her) wait a minute or two, then take it off and leave. Next day, try it again. Put it on and take it off several times in one session. (the lead rope looped around her neck can keep her close by so you can actually do this several times in a row.) She might not want to be caught because you catch her and then make her do something, even if it is just brushing her. Once she sees that you're not going to make her clean her room or do her homework or kiss ugly Aunt Bertha (they're like small children at that age) every time you catch her, she might get better.
I was quite rebellious when I was younger; even if I got ice cream after, I still wouldn't clean my room.