I've Got a Mystery Horse. Anyone Up For Guesses?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Codysmom55
Weanling

I've Got a Mystery Horse. Anyone Up For Guesses?

Postby Codysmom55 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:41 pm

Approximately 2 1/2 years ago, one of my horses, a purebred Arab gelding (13 at that time) came up lame after a routine trim. I treated him with the standard fare for tender feet, but within a couple of days, he appeared to be foundered. I immediately called my vet and from that day, we have been on a mysterious odyssey that continues.
We have had this horse x-rayed several times, regular trimming with shoes on the front at all times. My shoer has tried many different types of shoes on this horse in an effort to keep him comfortable. Right now, this horse has pads and aluminum 2 degree wedges on. My vet initially gave DMSO by IV, applied digitalis patches and plenty of bute.
The confounding part about this is, this horse will have days where he walks almost normally (I have seen him run and kick out in the pasture) and others where he is so stiff and sore, he can hardly put one foot in front of the other. He is in a stall at night with super deep shavings. The stalls are cleaned every day. He is turned out during the day with my other guys. He gets straight crimped oats and high quality coastal hay. He is dewormed and vaccinated on a regular basis. He looks great and his appetite is really good, but from one day to the next, you never know how he will walk out of his stall. We have changed absolutely nothing; have introduced nothing.
My vet is just as mystified as I am and has conferred with vets from this country, as well as internationally at some AAEP conventions. My vet is on the cutting edge of technology and is very diligent about the newest techniques. There has been two other vets that have looked at this horse at my vet's suggestion.
We know this horse will never be sound again, but our interest is trying our best to keep him comfortable. We have probably been one of the biggest contributors (monetarily)to the makers of bute over the last few years!
Anyone out there have an opinion or experience with something like this? Would love to hear from any and all!

Intrinsic Worth
Starters Handicap

Postby Intrinsic Worth » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:21 pm

Is he not sore the days he isn't as active (bucking etc) when he goes outside?

What about nerving him?
All men are equal on the turf - or under it.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:35 pm

The quirkiness of it suggests that it is not in his feet, or even maybe his legs... but maybe his shoulders or neck/back/withers... something like kissing spines?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:54 pm

suggestion:check horsejournal.com for case like this.it was deep foot bruising and took over 1 and 1/2 year to solve on a pony.i am presently working on a case similar.horse was sent to 2 universities,one diagnosed navicular syndrome and other was mystified....three different vets worked on it and numerous farriers....pads or no pads,wedge or no bar or egg-bar shoes and so on...some days better,some days almost sound, some days so lame cannot even walk out.it started like this:that horse was perfectly sound but one day ran off on alsphalt road...and next morning a bit stiff,on thermography underfeet was like a christmas tree with the coffin bone a bright outlined light and it had degraded since then.i got the horse for free so am trying something...we will see.
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

Codysmom55
Weanling

Postby Codysmom55 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:05 pm

I'm trying to reply to this, but am having trouble.

Codysmom55
Weanling

Postby Codysmom55 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:12 pm

Gosh, finally!
Thanks so much for ya'll's interest. My vet and I have discussed the possibility of nerving this horse, but he feels that procedure is not right for this horse at this time. We may go that route in the future.
I've not heard of "kissing spines", but would love to know more.
Sylvie: I look forward to more in depth info on your horse. Sounds like there's alot of similiarities.
This past Saturday, the horse trotted across the pasture and cut loose with some bucking. His his tail was flagged. He didn't trot far and he was obviously stiff, but compared to what I've seen lately, it was a beautiful sight. I enjoy seeing him like that because you never know what the next day is going to bring.
Thanks again and if you have more info, please post it.

Codysmom55
Weanling

Postby Codysmom55 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:20 am

Sylvie:
I went to www.horsejournal.com and discovered the domain is now for sale. Do you have another web address?
I was wondering if the horse you're referring to was x-rayed to check for rotation. My horse has rotated, which indicates unmistakable founder. However, your post has me intrigued and I would like to learn more, if possible.
Thanks!

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Postby vineyridge » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:02 am

Here's the URL for The Horse Journal.
http://www.horse-journal.com/
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

Codysmom55
Weanling

Postby Codysmom55 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:47 am

Thanks for the correct address. I used to get the Horse Journal and have found it to be a most informative magazine.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:20 pm

sure it was X-rayed no trace of rotation.i trimmed him again this week backing up his heels(his feet were a bit sheared) and taking out more bruised foot.i am trying with every trim(very often trim like 14 days schedule)to make his feet balanced(yes he is very short!..)and concaved,he gets 2 hours of forced walk on nice surface a day(that came gradually)-soaking in ice water 20 minutes a day and coronet massage.He is slowly improving,no more awful " cannot get out of stall dead lame".the thinking behind is bruised inside foot including all bony structure needs growing and also long time for those structures to regain normalcy.now don't get me wrong this is all experimental and based on the incredible capacity of regeneration and healing that goes into a horse foot.i did bring back plently of foundered going to meat cannot even stand up anymore horses that had chronic founder for years and been shod in all kind of exotic ways and know first hand that the foot can really heal and rebuilt 100%.Anyway time will tell...
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

Codysmom55
Weanling

Postby Codysmom55 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:06 am

Thanks for your reply, Sylvie. I appreciate your taking the time to do so.
Honestly, I don't think there's any answers for my horse to be where he is. Right now, he's getting around really well for the situation he's in. If he could just stay there, I would be happy! I have a wonderful farrier who specializes in foundered horses and he's done a remarkable job of trying to make this guy comfortable.
I just took a chance posting this in hopes that with all the readers out there that maybe there would be someone that could give me some sort of explanation or experience that the vets and science haven't been able to do. I appreciate everyone's interest and comments.

jumper77
Maiden Special Weight

Maybe it's all in his head...

Postby jumper77 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:53 am

I knew an Arab who faked lameness to get out of work. He'd hobble around on three legs until you gave up and put him up. He would then proceed to race (and beat) all the other horses in the pasture. Arabs are notorious for being too #@!?& smart. They figured him out (after exhausting all the veterinary issues) when he would switch the limp from one leg to the other when he thought you weren't paying attention.
It doesn't quite sound like your situation; sounds like you have legitimate lameness issues, but it's a thought.

clafairy
Weanling

Postby clafairy » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:35 pm

My horse when I got her four years ago used to do the exact same as the arab you have described - Lame on different fore hooves but only when ridden and once you gave up work would be bright as a button - turns out four whole years later almost to the day she was suffering intermittent lameness due to navicular syndrome which does effect both front feet and It took four years to really show again because I never reallly did alot of hard work with her, just apleasure horse - this summer the groung got hard combined with me deciding to fitten her up for breeding purposes and bam! Navicular rears its ugly head... Shes lucky though - I bought her, she spoilt rotten and was almost practically retired anyway before hand so she got right up to 17yo and only now has to wear special shoes and booties

Codysmom55
Weanling

Postby Codysmom55 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:48 am

Thank you for all your comments. At this time, this horse has gone approximately 3 weeks being able to move around more like a normal horse. It is obvious he has stiffness in his front feet and legs, but compared to what I've seen him do, I'd be quite happy for him to continue on as he is. This horse is coming 16 and I have been his "nanny" since he was 6 months old, so I know him quite well. His entire demeanor is up quite a few notches and that is a plus. We just never know when the situation will backslide and that's the mystery to us.