Sesamoid Fractures

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Deborah
Newborn

Sesamoid Fractures

Postby Deborah » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:32 pm

I need info on sesamoid fractures. I recently adopted an OTTB. He has excellent under saddle training. He has a great work ethic and very good gaits. I was able to track down his exercise rider who gave me lots of info. She thinks he had a fractured sesamoid in the RH. I hope to use this horse for lower level dressage. How can I treat/maintain this injury? I have a big WB mare w/bad arthritis and a down hill confirmation. She is working happily w/yearly hock injections, a good joint supplement and most importantly the right work and muscle building program. Any suggestions and information is appreciated. Thanks.
DT

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:32 am

My vet charges $40 for an x-ray, $20 for each additional if more than one angle is needed... my point is if you want a prognosis on an old fracture, a picture is worth a thousand words. You can see how it healed, any additional activity, if there is a chip or two, etc. etc. etc. The long term on something like that can be Just Fine... better than arthritis or a suspensory or old tendons... good luck!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Deborah
Newborn

Postby Deborah » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:38 am

X-rays are a must and will be the first step. Any suggestions regarding a wrok/training program? Can injections work? Thanks.

>"Riding is like life
>It can be painful, and difficult.
>The question is,
>What will we do with the pain?
>Will we give in to it or learn from it?
>Adversity to me, is life's greatest teacher."
DT

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:19 am

Actually, a fracture that has healed is pretty unlikely to produce any aftereffects unless it involves a moving part. Injections (like hock, etc.) are usually prescribed for arthritis and/or lack of synovial fluid... and actually injections into the joint capsule are so possibly hazardous.. there are products available now given orally. I wouldn't inject a joint unless it was the last possible resort.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Deborah
Newborn

Postby Deborah » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:19 pm

You are correct about joint injections. You should do them as little as possible. They only work if the horse is put on a proper work program to build a strong topline & proper muscles to take pain away from the joints. It has been my experience and that of several others that oral joint supplements do not work as effectively as injections. That could differ from horse to horse.
DT