Growth rates

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Rushtawin
Allowance Winner

Growth rates

Postby Rushtawin » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:45 am

Hi - I just adopted a thoroughbred filly who's 2 years and 7 months old today and still growing like a weed (she's already over 16hh). I was curious at what height she'd end up at, or methods I could use to guess. Additionally, I wanted to keep her on a 14% protein feed until she's at least 3, and was slightly worried about any resultant health issues (she doesn't have any at this point, she used to have an ankle injury which has healed up nicely)

She currently is on 6 quarts of Hunter and 6.5 flakes of hay total each day.

Any suggestions would be great :)
"The best things in life are worth waiting for"

teb
Allowance Winner

Postby teb » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:15 am

Hello,
Congrats on your new filly. You should be fine on what you are feeding her. 14% isn't that much really. If she is on a sweet feed mix and she's fine with her temp. than your good. If she starts getting flighty and silly then maybe think about a pellet food that's high in fat and low on startch. I do all my measuring in pounds so can't help you on the 6quarts. As long as she looks well and healthy and her attitude is good you're fine.
Your filly could grow until she is about 5. Maybe not so much in height, but she will get a bit taller and start filling out. I got a mare at the end of her 3 yo year and she kept getting bigger until 5. Mind you she wasn't very well taken care of either. As far as how big she will get that's really down to genetics so if you knew her mom or dad that could help.
Good Luck
Terri

Rushtawin
Allowance Winner

Postby Rushtawin » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:57 am

It's amazing how having a horse has influenced me to keep money in my pocket to pay for future boarding rather than just spending it frivolously. I definately am interested in letting her reach her full height potential.

Personality wise, it just depends who is handling her and how much experience they have. Most people mistake her for being older, and thus discipline her for behaviors normal for two year olds, or in most cases, just make the situation worse. She also has a dominant personality and used to have a reputation for biting, rearing, and kicking at people.

I started working with her a little bit here and there since the end of September, and we haven't had any of those problems since. She'd never been crosstied, either, and now she doesn't have a problem with them. Her lunge work will resume once she's at her new barn.

I usually don't have any problems with her, and she often will canter across the field and come to the fence whenever I drop in. She was nervous of one of the portable mini silos that was next to the barn laying on its side, so I just pretended to pet it, and then she nosed it a few times and decided it was nothing, and decided to graze instead.

Heh, I found her itchy spot today on her neck, but I'm babbling so I'll finish by saying it's awesome to have her.
"The best things in life are worth waiting for"