gummed up eyes

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

onalimb
Allowance Winner

gummed up eyes

Postby onalimb » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:29 pm

My fillys one eye started gummimg up so I have been rinsing it with clear eyes (though she might have polked it) but now the other eye is gumming up.. What is a good rinse to clear this up.??
onalimb

Intrinsic Worth
Starters Handicap

Postby Intrinsic Worth » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:02 pm

I personally would have a vet look at it, because eye meds aren't for everything. Neobac is what I like to use, but I would have a vet look at her first.

For a good eye rinse, soak some tea bags in water and squirt the water into the eye. Tea is a soothing mixture for eyes. It takes the redness and irritation away.
All men are equal on the turf - or under it.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:09 pm

Regular old saline eyewash that comes in quart bottles for contact lense wearers. If there is a light runny nose too, you could give her some SMZ's for a few days.. all the ones I got at Fasig Tipton had runny eyes and snots for a week -- not thick snots, just runny noses. I started using the granular PDZ, too, it works a lot better. I was concerned that maybe the runny eyes/noses were due to leftover ammonia under the bedding.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Kristie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Kristie » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:38 am

It could be blocked tear ducts. My gelding has had them a couple times over the years and I had the vet "blow them out".

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:51 am

madelyn wrote:Regular old saline eyewash that comes in quart bottles for contact lense wearers. If there is a light runny nose too, you could give her some SMZ's for a few days.. all the ones I got at Fasig Tipton had runny eyes and snots for a week -- not thick snots, just runny noses. I started using the granular PDZ, too, it works a lot better. I was concerned that maybe the runny eyes/noses were due to leftover ammonia under the bedding.

madelyn - so you put the saline solution in the eye? i have a young gelding with a chronic runny eye and i'm thinking it needs to be washed out now and again.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:58 am

The eyewash, not the stuff the lenses go in.. you can also use any antibiotic opthalmic ointment. Ordinary drug store stuff.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

KamiBrooks
Starters Handicap

Postby KamiBrooks » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:21 pm

Once a vet's made sure there are not problems with her eye, tearing eyes can also be a sign of Vit A deficiency.