filly had to be uthinized do to both front legs broke, read

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

RainbowspringsTB&QH
Weanling

filly had to be uthinized do to both front legs broke, read

Postby RainbowspringsTB&QH » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:09 pm

Ok a freind of mine was bording her horse out at a stable and the owner of the stable had left out her jumping equipment wich everyone is instructed to put all equipment away after use, and my freind was always told that she could put the filly in the arena when she was cleaning her stall. So she did that as usual unaware that the equipment was out, and the filly got spooked and started running around the arena and came to the jump and got her legs stuck under the pole that holds the jump up and when she turned to get out of it she snapped both of her front legs (compound fractures) of course we did the right thing and had her humanly uthinized. Can they sew the stable? in the contract it said no death is at stables fault but it also said all equipment must be put back after use. This horse belonged to a 11 year old girl and her and her sister who was there when it happend are scarred and cant even bring themselves to go back into the arena.
- You can take my saddle but never my dreams-

Inyureye
Allowance Winner

Postby Inyureye » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:28 am

I don't think that kind of question is easy to answer here, as it would depend very much on legal liablility the parties in question would have to sort out with attorneys or in court.

So she did that as usual unaware that the equipment was out,

Does this (above) mean that she didn't look at what was in the arena before she let her horse loose in it? I find that hard to believe. Too bad, though. I would be more careful what kind of environment she lets her horse loose in. First rule with horses, never assume anything.

Its very sad what happened. I hope your friend will be okay.
Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:39 am

Let me get this straight... your friend, who is the OWNER of the filly, let her OWN horse out in arena with the equipment in it... the filly got herself caught up in the equipment, etc., and now she wants to SUE the stable???? For what?? The stable was not negligent. What, were the jumps under camouflage tarps and so not visible to the naked eye?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:50 am

I have to agree w/Inureye and Madelyn - just don't understand HOW this filly was turned out into an arena with jumps and they WERE NOT SEEN by the owner's filly (person that turned her out?????)

Very sad.....

Kristie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Kristie » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:01 am

Talk about a perfect example of why it's so hard to find an affordable place to board a horse! Let's see, horse owner does something stupid, horse gets hurt and has to be put down and horse owner wants to sue the boarding establishment. I'm very sorry the horse had to be euthanized and know it's a painful situation, but it's a sorry statement of affairs when the first response is to look for someone to sue! And yet so typical! Sorry for the rant, but it's one of my pet peeves!

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:11 am

Marli wrote:I have to agree w/Inureye and Madelyn - just don't understand HOW this filly was turned out into an arena with jumps and they WERE NOT SEEN by the owner's filly (person that turned her out?????)

Very sad.....

Have to agree with the rest of the posters, as well, although the owner being 11 years old may have had something to do with it. Kids, being kids, don't always check things out first.

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:42 am

As for the 11 y/o owner - SUPERVISION AND EDUCATE. Really terrible situation....

Inyureye
Allowance Winner

Postby Inyureye » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:20 am

As for the 11 y/o owner - SUPERVISION AND EDUCATE. Really terrible situation....

Boy, isn't that the truth. I thank God for how I was raised up with horses. I had private instruction on the horse I eventually bought (big TB Mare) for a year and half, before we bought her. I was 12 when I bought her. Before every lesson, for which I groomed and tacked myself, I was given a ground lesson, and again after, lessons about cooling out and aftercare, turnout, feeding, water, etc. One thing drummed into my head was that if you can concieve of trouble a horse can find in an area, he will find it and hurt himself. If you can't conceive of it, he will do it anyway. If its never before been done, he will invent a new way to injur himself. Lunging a horse before turn out if he's going to tear around and possibly strain himself or hurt himself in an enclosed arena, even without junk left in it is always to be considered.
Last edited by Inyureye on Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

RainbowspringsTB&QH
Weanling

Postby RainbowspringsTB&QH » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:19 am

I see your point , oh no its not like a mojor claim there just trying to get them to pay the vet bill.
- You can take my saddle but never my dreams-

Inyureye
Allowance Winner

Postby Inyureye » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:31 am

I doubt it. Its not the stable's fault. Its the responsibility of the owner to keep her horse safe while in her care. It is entirely reasonable to have jumps and jump standards in an indoor arena.

I beleive there is an inherent risk working with horses. The horse may injure himself or the handler, or other horses, or property. What an irresponsible owner to go looking for someone to blame and to pay the cost of their own irresponsibility and neglegence of this animal. Shame on them.

And we wonder why our boarding rates are so high.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:54 am

If I had a boarder who tried to sue me to pay a vet bill over their own negligence... and some kangaroo court gave them a judgment... I would of course end up paying the vet bill but I would ban them from my stable and blacklist them with ALL of the barns in my state. The owner of the horse was ENTIRELY responsible. End of story.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:31 pm

It,s incredible sad for what has happend.

But the person who puts the filly in the arena is responsible not anyone else, it doesn,t matter if she is a child.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Re: filly had to be uthinized do to both front legs broke, r

Postby skeenan » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:05 pm

RainbowspringsTB&QH wrote:came to the jump and got her legs stuck under the pole that holds the jump up and when she turned to get out of it she snapped both of her front legs (compound fractures)

I'm not getting what kind of jump/jump standards these were...? I've never worked around any kind that were not simply a post attached to a base (4 legged, like a "+") with jump cups... and they fall over if you run into them...?

Very sad... sorry to hear...

Intrinsic Worth
Starters Handicap

Postby Intrinsic Worth » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:29 pm

This past winter we had a newborn foal and a mare in an indoor arena with jumps in it. Jumps fall over if they knock into them. We also had 3 yearling colts in the arena at night and never had trouble.

Confessional's 2004 foal broke his shoulder in a 30 acre pasture with nothing in it.
All men are equal on the turf - or under it.

teb
Allowance Winner

Postby teb » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:46 pm

I myself am trying to figure out what jumps these were. At the moment my paddocks are ponds really so I've been letting my yearlings out in the arena with jumps in it. I don't worry about a thing either. I had one of those gypsy vanner horses take on the 4 1/2 foot gate one time. Not pretty I can tell you, of course he didn't have a scratch. I see horses here turned out in paddocks with heavy machinery and things like rollers and plows. As Intrisic Worth points out, horses in paddocks with nothing get hurt. It was a freak thing and in no way should your friend be trying to sue the barn. With horses anything is possible.
teb