Hoof angles

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Rushtawin
Allowance Winner

Hoof angles

Postby Rushtawin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:26 pm

What's a good "angle" for a horse's feet? Isn't it 45-50 degrees for the front, and the back feet five degrees above the slope of the shoulder or something like that? Just curious because my farrier wanted to have my mare's feet grow out for 4 weeks to lessen her 60 degree angle from her past farrier (who worked for her previous owner).

She's flatfooted and he said keeping her barefoot shouldn't be a problem. He says she's 100% sound even with her tiny feet and that she has nice conformation, which was a huge relief since no one else gave me an opinion on her build before I adopted her. This is really good because it means that her past ankle injury has healed and that she hasn't become sore as a result of her unhappy trailering on December 1st.
"The best things in life are worth waiting for"

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:09 pm

You have a sound horse. You are allowing it to go barefoot. And he (your farrier) wants to forgo trimming on the hind feet for 4 weeks to allow growth for him to change the angle. As a retired farrier, I don't think it will do any harm. 52 degrees is the norm for the hind hooves and 50 degrees for the front. That just a rule of thumb though. Hoof growth is normally slow and I doubt in 4 weeks enough growth will be available to make any dramatic changes. It sounds like he wants to gradually correct the angle. From many years of observation and working on horses, I've found that barefoot horses, particularly in regard to their hind hooves, find balance by themselves. My one and only concern, having not viewed your horse, would be how much of the heel he takes off if any, (because the angle may be determined by the length to the toe, not height through the heel) when he does trim. Many farriers cut away entirely too much heel which is very difficult to restore, particularly with a working horse. The heel buttress and connecting horns aid greatly in supporting the weight of the horse and protecting the frog. Sheared heels leave the frog open to damage and ultimately disease and often leave hooves with weaken strength along the hoof walls. If in doubt about this procedure make an inquiry to your vet and see what he/she thinks. There is old saying, attributed to standardbred horsemen, that a "horse goes the best way he is naturally made." They have always maintained that limited leveling and balancing of the hoof is all that is required of a young horse. Obviously they support the idea that horses make accomodations for conformational faults. Seabiscuit would agree. A rule of thumb I've lived by for over 30 years is to change hoof angles no more than 2 degrees in 6 weeks. There are many authoritative works that support this. "Don't over do it" should be your instructions to any equine professionals servicing your farm/stable. :wink:

clafairy
Weanling

Postby clafairy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:19 am

Shammy, As a retired farrier maybe you could tell me - I have a mare with Navicular (I posted on this before when I found out) We have recently moved fields and the farrier Came and changed her shoes, one of which she had lost in the field the day before, then a week later one of the new shoes was pulled, twisted where she had stood on it with her back hoof. She wears natural balance shoes and is shod every 5.5weeks, she also wears rubber overreach boots to help stop her standing on them (supposedly!)

Can a horse with Navicular - If not on the road, go barefoot through the inter when the ground is soft and still be trimmed to make corrections. Or is there anything else I can do to make things easier on us?

Her problem is broken hoof pastern axis her toes are long and she has little to no heel - very flat.

Any feedback greatly appreciated : )

Rushtawin
Allowance Winner

Postby Rushtawin » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:12 am

:) Your response left me very relieved. I know a bit of the basics about the shoes themselves and that stuff, (not very much though!), and was concerned a little since her legs are still developing and with her growth rate and past ankle injury, I decided that it'd be in her best interest to stay informed. :) Thanks again!!!
"The best things in life are worth waiting for"

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:05 pm

clafairy: Navicular is chronic. It doesn't matter what surface your mare is on, she is going show symptoms of the disease at one time or another. The harder the surface the more lame your mare will be. Traditionally, farriers have dealt with the navicular problem by shoeing with a blocked toe and raising the heels. Sometimes a bar shoe is applied. The veterinary methods are not much better which include cutting the nerves to block pain. I've got a very old TB gelding who I rescued who has navicular. Typical conformation for a navicular horse is small feet and short upright pasterns, which my gelding fits. I've allowed him to go barefoot from the very beginning even when he is occasionally ridden. I've never seen any evidence that navicular can be cured and the results of remedies are marginal at best. When you add the $$$$ up that you spend shoeing this mare, considering the poor prognosis, I'd let her go barefoot. When my gelding is having an off day, I provide aspirin. Bute is also a very good alternative. It now comes in a less expensive powder form.

clafairy
Weanling

Postby clafairy » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:44 am

Thanks shammy thats really good to hear - I thought, from the way that it is put to you when your horse is diagnosed, that the shoes were a necessity regardless of whether they are ridden or buted etc. However, since I posted this the hoof that my mare had lost her shoe from got really sensitive and when I lead her round a turn the other day she reared at me - Thats never happened before and Im positive it was her soreness that made her do it. I think the shoes MAY be a necessity in my instance!

jumper77
Maiden Special Weight

Postby jumper77 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:48 pm

Is Navicular hereditary?
I've never really understood the disease (or syndrome?) too well, although it's been explained to me several times.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:33 am

Shammy Davis wrote:Typical conformation for a navicular horse is small feet and short upright pasterns, which my gelding fits.

Navicular itself is not hereditary but the conformation that causes it is. Just as the conformation of a faulty windpipe, calf knees, cow hocks, sickle hocks, etc. etc. etc. are all hereditary.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....