Ringworm

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Jean
Allowance Winner

Ringworm

Postby Jean » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:48 am

HAve had an outbreak of what looks like ringworm on horses faces. Came home from racetrack and spreads readily. Hate using iodine on their faces. Scared of getting it in their eyes and it blisters. Any other solutions out there?

wen8t
Maiden Special Weight

Postby wen8t » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:11 pm

I use Tinactin any kind of fungi killer will work buy at walmart .some people said tooth paste will work but I never tried .

valerie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby valerie » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:59 am

Fulvacin powder from the vet, mix in their feed. It works the best.

Jean
Allowance Winner

Postby Jean » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:35 am

Our vet tells us Fluvacin cost $400 per horse. LArge expense for 5 or 6 horses. Any other solutions?

adrienne
Allowance Winner

Postby adrienne » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:27 am

This is what we always did:

Scrub with betadine (on a sort of soft nail scrubber). Leave on for about 10 minutes. Rinse extremely well. Dry completely. Put on a fungicide (we used athletes foot/jock ich cream.)

When you're washing it, don't allow the rinse water to run down your arm. Because then, LoL, you get ringworm on yourself. Don't ask me how I know that ;)

~Adrienne

Jean
Allowance Winner

Postby Jean » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:32 am

The ringworm sems to start around their eyes and it would be impossible to use betadine and rinse there!

timex
Maiden Special Weight

Postby timex » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:10 am

i've had good luck with the Microtek spray.
Jennifer Breslin
Different Times Equestrian Ventures
& Short Fuse Stable
[email protected]

adrienne
Allowance Winner

Postby adrienne » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:11 am

Jean wrote:The ringworm sems to start around their eyes and it would be impossible to use betadine and rinse there!

You just have to be super careful and have a horse that is a saint, LoL.

But really, we would take a small towel and shield their eye while scrubbing the ringworm. After the first time, it was itchy enough they appreciated the scrubbing and didn't mind.

Also, froth up your betadine scrub thick so the suds aren't runny, that helps:)

~Adrienne

monicabee
Allowance Winner

Postby monicabee » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:42 pm

The jock itch creme works pretty fast to reduce the itchiness and will kill the ringworm (I got ringworm from a cat once). Only two problems I can see - 1) depends how close to the eye the ringworm is and 2) the quantity of creme you might need to buy! I don't believe athelete's foot creme will work as well, if I recall my research correctly.

Chanter
Weanling

Postby Chanter » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:04 pm

Diluted tea tree oil can work wonders. Read label. Again, do not get into eyes! Use cotton balls for application & toss.

I it is on the face, how are you preventing it from being passed on any shared bridles?

As per spreading through the string, do not use grooming tools from infected animal upon any other animals. Wash grooming things with diluted bleach. Sun dry.

Bleach in wash water for horse laundry is also a good rule of thumb to keep it from spreading through entire barn.

Jean
Allowance Winner

Postby Jean » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:49 am

It is not on horses I am riding so the bridles are not a problem and I have been using seperate halters and washing them on the ones I am treating. I was also tols yesterday to try Oil of Oregano. Got to get to a health store.