Abortion caused by hydrops???

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Abortion caused by hydrops???

Postby TrueColours » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:32 pm

I came across a new term that I had never heard of before on this thread:

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee/foru ... /962200828

I then did a search through msn and google for "hydrops" as I had never heard of it before, and all of the sites referred to fetal (human) hydrops causing abortions, and this one (quite graphic ) showed an aborted human baby with hydrops:

http://www-medlib.med.utah.edu/WebPath/ ... EN010.html

This looks too awful for even words ... has anyone on the board had a foal aborted due to hydrops? What exactly is it? Was the mare okay in the end and was she breedable afterwards? Was a cause ever found??? :(
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:54 am

Here is an article on the subject dealing specifically with equine hydrops:

http://dvm.adv100.com/dvm/article/artic ... p?id=13320

Just one more thing for us breeders to now worry about isnt it? No matter HOW rare it might be ... and then you pray that your vet is even able to diagnos it even if they have never come across it before ... :(
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:36 am

Yes.. but thank you very much for the information. There is no feeling in the world as bad as just not knowing what is wrong. No matter how awful the condition, it is better to at least have an idea of what it is and how to proceed.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:58 am

In humans this is caused by a Rh- female carrying a Rh+ embryo. It can also be caused by ABO incompatibility.

In each case maternal antibodies cross the placenta and start to attack the fetal blood cells. Once antibodies are created for Rh, the persist for life, with progressively more difficulties for each pregnancy.

Again, in humans, a Rh- female can carry Rh- embryos without any problem, leading to a random pattern of the disease.

The article mentions that mares can be bred to other stallions and carry to term, which suggests that hydrops in horses has the same cause as in humans.

If you own a horse with this medical history, it might be wise to do a complete blood type for her, the stallion that she had the problem with, and any potential mates.