Poison plants

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

griff
Leading Sire

Poison plants

Postby griff » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:58 pm

I jusy found out I can have up to two horses in my back yard and am thinking about moving our May 2005 filly up here so I can youch her every day. this one we wish yo race in 2007.

i know I have to get rid of the cherry trees but need tp knpw what other 'yard; plants also need to go.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:08 pm

Griff, I believe Black Walnut and Oleander are also poisonous to horses, to name a couple off the top of my head.

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:23 pm

Griff: You can get a list from your local VA TECH Extension Office. I know they do seminars on the subject. As a rule, horses are very discriminating and they normally do not eat plants that are objectionable or injurious. For example, it is not the Black Oak leaf that is the problem or for that matter the trunk, it is when the Black Oak Shavings are used in bedding and the horses have difficulty discriminating. I have attended a couple seminars in our area and I have found that there are a great many exaggerated opinions on the topic. We have Wild Cherry and Black Oak all over our central VA farm and have never experienced a problem. VA TECH provides exceptable services and as far as VA goes, they are the horse's mouth.:wink:

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:13 pm

Thanks guys

I live in York County in SE Virginia so the VA Tech stuff is very appropriate. I do appreciate that horses will not usually eat a poisoius plants but I've planted a lot of azaleas, camella, and fruit [including cherry] trees over the years and just don't want to do something really stupid.

This is a nice filly and I think she and I would bpth benefit if I brought her up from the farm

griff

pembroke
Allowance Winner

Postby pembroke » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:00 pm

Keep in mind that some plants are only poisonous when the leaves are wilted. Cherry and apple trees fall into this category. They produce cyanide in the leaves as they wilt. One of the MOST poisonous, is the yew family, most people have yews as foundation plants. I'll never forget the story about one of the Budweiser horses grabbing a peice of yew. He or she died before help could be summond. Scary to think it can work that fast! Rodedendrons are also toxic and I believe Mountain laurel falls into that same group.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:23 pm

Yep

The Rodedendrons and azaleias have to go.

griff

Chanter
Weanling

Postby Chanter » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:54 pm

Depending upon the style of horse keeping you shall be doing upon your property, I do not see why the azaleas & rhodies would actually have to go; so long as the horses do not have direct access to them & you keep the plants groomed. They are very common upon horse properties in Washington state.

Do you normally grow a vegetable garden? With having horses at home does this now mean you shall no longer plant potatoes since it is a night shade? What about corn? How can you be postive about aflatoxin?

Though oleander I personally would be paranoid over. Normally, a well maintained horse would not even bother with an oleander even if it could reach it. But geez, that is one plant that can kill a horse deader than a door faster than you can shake a stick. Definitely not worth its' risk. :shock:

Do you know there are some counties in California that have declared oleander illegal, due to the horse issue. Sort surprises me how Ocala/Marion county has not taken the same stance.

There is being reasonable & then there is being paranoid. I dunno, perhaps for your property lay out paranoid is a good thing? :)

Kristie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Kristie » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:58 am

and I think it's the yew evergreen that can kill in one bite. Don't forget the red maples are toxic. Also mountain laurel. Tomato plants.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:03 pm

I've had personal experoence with wilted black cherry and frost killed sudan grass. Both caised immediate abortions in some of my brood cows.

The literature only specifies black cherry as a danger but I think I'm going to remove all cherry trees. Do you think the plum and/or pear trees will be OK?

I would have thought nandina, and maybe camelias, would be a problem but can't find them listed.

griff

Chanter
Weanling

Postby Chanter » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:34 pm

When living up north I fed plums & pears as treats. I ALWAYS removed the plum pit first. Stories of the pit having been sharp enough to slice the intestine.

Heck, I actually grew a horse garden.

jumper77
Maiden Special Weight

Postby jumper77 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:27 pm

I used to work at a big barn in New Orleans that had azaleas everywhere. They didn't believe me that they were poisonous. Guess Katrina re-landscaped. (That is sooooo not funny, I know.)

monicabee
Allowance Winner

Postby monicabee » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:44 pm

I learned most of the classic toxic plants from someone running a broodmare farm. Nandina is definitely one of them as it contains a type of cyanide. Leave it if the horses don't have direct access to it, or to areas where clippings might be tossed (that can be the hard part).

I also found lots of these plants on my inlaw's farm where they have raised horses for many many years without a problem. There are apple trees in the pasture that they don't harvest, milkweed, etc. But their horses have so much pasture that they never bother with the milkweed and they don't seem to gorge on the apples either. These are older, experienced horses, however.

Young and/or bored horses are more likely to experiment with toxic plants. Your biggest problem might be companionship for your yearling filly if you are thinking of pasturing her alone (it's not clear from your post) -- if that's the case the best security measure might be to:

a) buy another young race prospect. :lol:
b) find a babysitter horse.

Sounds like fun to have her on your property though, as long as you don't have to clear-cut it.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:46 am

I suspected the nandina was bad news; wonder why it was not included in any of the university web sites?

In fact i think my dad once told me all plants with dark green shiny leaves were dangerious.

griff

jumper77
Maiden Special Weight

Postby jumper77 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:10 pm

Aren't onions bad too?

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:19 pm

the only problem with onions that I know of is they ruin a dairy cows milk and you can taste it in the meet if it was consumed too close to slaughter.

griff