Hey, Shammy!

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

jumper77
Maiden Special Weight

Hey, Shammy!

Postby jumper77 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:16 am

How do you deal with a horse that "sits" on you while trimming/picking out their feet? I have one in particular that thinks it's my job to hold her up. The front is worse than the back. I know it really wears out my farrier, and I don't want him to hate coming out to my house!
Thanks!

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:06 pm

My old body tells me every morning that I never completely found a solution to that problem. I know of no farrier that has not suffered from the problem. I've seen shoers kick, shove, punch, hit, plead, beg, and turn to ancient mystical chants as well as contemporary cussing and nothing helps. I've attempted a few of these actions myself, but the reality is that when 1000 lbs of horse wants to lean on you, you need to takes breaks often. The hind legs maybe better to work with. I always stretch them out so that my back and legs are only supporting the leg and not the full weight of hips. I've found that some horses respond better on the front end when I raise the hoof higher to work on them, while some respond to a lower almost ground level position. Its the same when I float teeth, every horse is different. You have to find their comfort level. I do know that a twitch can be a powerful source of control when working on a horse. I refrain from using them until all else fails, but I'm sure that its use the next time your farrier works on one of your leaners will produce a positive effect for all concerned. :wink:

jumper77
Maiden Special Weight

Postby jumper77 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:50 pm

Ordinarily, yes, a twitch would work, but not on this lady. Someone obviously did some damage to her with a twitch before we got her, because she blows up when she sees one. The wooden handle kind with the chain, the metal 'humane' kind, you name it, she's familiar with every kind, brand, color! Even my vet gave up trying to give her a shot after she almost got a hoof in the face. I asked her if she had a tranquillizer gun, only half-joking. I have a whole variety of problems with this girl. She had a broken tail (which I believe happened during her training for a western pleasure show mount; I think some genius "sat her down" while teaching her 'whoa' and smashed her tail.) Had to give her injections for it, until she decided she'd had enough of that... now I can't give injections, worm her, put on a twitch, (can't even grab her upper lip!) anything she has to have, she won't put up with it. She rears and strikes at you. In fact, she can only be shod if I hold her. My farrier can't even catch her in her stall. Under saddle, she's a doll. Even when she's throwing a fit, you can tell she's saying, "I'm sorry I'm being bad!"
Anyway, I guess I'll keep working on her manners. Goodness knows the poor thing needs a lot of work. At least I have a kind and patient farrier. That's quite hard to find.
Thanks, Shammy! You'll hear from me again soon, I'm full of questions. And you're full of great answers! :lol: