Foal Aide

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Lindros
Yearling

Foal Aide

Postby Lindros » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:11 am

Has anyone used Foal Aide (made by Buckeye) for weanlings/yearlings with DOD's?

teb
Allowance Winner

Postby teb » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:21 pm

I was getting Foal Aide through my feed company Bailey's here in Ireland. All of my foals are on it from 7 days until they are consuming their own food. I love the stuff and it has served my foals well. They haven't had any problems with DOD/OCD later on, but it's always a constant balancing act. Now as far as later on, it might not be the best for these problems as I think it has quite a few calories. Your best bet is the grow n win which doesn' have the calories and mix it with oats or a pellet feed.
Now the Lady that owns the stud farm I live on, had a mare that was recovering from a C-section last year and we gave her the foal aide for a couple of weeks until she got to eating well. Not what your looking for though.
Hope this helps
Terri

Lindros
Yearling

Postby Lindros » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:11 pm

Terri,
thanks for the info. Foal Aide actually doesn't have any calories.
I have spent quite a lot of time talking to one of the Buckeye reps. As an 'off lable' use it is suggested for weanlings/yearlings with severe problems like contracted tendons etc.
I was just wondering if any of you have ever used it and how succsessful it was.
I have been trying to convince my boss to try it on a yearling (well now two year old I guess) with very contracted tendons. It's most likely too late for this horse now (I have been trying for some time) and she will be an insurance claim soon...

valerie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby valerie » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:11 pm

I have used this in the past with great results. They don't try to market it for this use but it does seem to help. I also use it in a lot of foals that have mothers that are way to heavy in the milk department, helps them with the contracted tendons in a great way.

briarhalo
Allowance Winner

Postby briarhalo » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:03 pm

I used it for my orpan and I found it excellent and would highly recommend it.

Lindros
Yearling

Postby Lindros » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:37 pm

valerie,
for how many weeks do you usual keep your foals on it?
Thanks!