wood chewing

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

wood chewing

Postby mightyhijames » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:52 am

i just got a 2-year old that is chewing the wooden fence posts like there is no tomorrow! since i lease my pasture/ barn space, this isn't sitting too well with the owner. he's turned out w/another 2-year old during the day and at night (weather permitting) w/what i believe to be plenty of hay, fresh water, and whatever grass is still available. any thoughts on why he's doing this and how to stop it? thanks.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:27 am

Sounds like he might be mineral deficient. Maybe try a mineral block or just put a handful on top of a fencepost once a week or so...
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Chanter
Weanling

Postby Chanter » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:34 pm

QUITT, is a mineral product on the market specifically for this issue.

I also like using Source, a macronutrient for an overal general supplement support.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:04 pm

Chanter wrote:QUITT, is a mineral product on the market specifically for this issue.

My farrier has customers who swear by it—and he's seen the "results"— we had a discussion about it one day...

Worth a try, and I believe it's guaranteed to work...

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:18 am

thanks for the response. my feed store is out of QUITT so i'm waiting for them to get more in stock. in the meantime, i've upped their hay and started them both on a feed supplement. they've always had a salt and mineral block next to the water tank but don't seem too interested. i also tossed a couple of clean bleach bottles w/rocks in them out into the field. when i left this a.m., they were both pushing them around. keeping my fingers crossed...........

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:37 am

QUITT is probably worth a try. can you give it to a nursing mare or just-bred mare?

i've always wondered why pnly one of my four mares crib and had just about decided she's bored when confined. i put all my mares in a 20 acre pasture after they wean their foals and the cribbing stops.

I cut out the 16% bag feed after they wean but they get the same free choice oats and free choice hay both before and after weaning.

the quality of the grazing may be factor why none crib in the pasture.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

wen8t
Maiden Special Weight

Postby wen8t » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:56 pm

make you up some pepper spray any kind of hot pepper and spray where he is chewing he'll get the hint , its probably because there is no grass and he is bored to death or simply it is just a habit .

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:15 pm

Without knowing the particulars, you need to pay attention to his horse's incisors. You are dealing with juvenile caps and young adult teeth. There is nothing that I know of that is worse for teeth alignment than the damage that occurs when a juvenile bites down on a 2X6 or more. It doesn't take much to cause major problems in a juvenile mouth. Keep on top of this, no matter what the cause.

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:40 am

Shammy Davis wrote:Without knowing the particulars, you need to pay attention to his horse's incisors. You are dealing with juvenile caps and young adult teeth. There is nothing that I know of that is worse for teeth alignment than the damage that occurs when a juvenile bites down on a 2X6 or more. It doesn't take much to cause major problems in a juvenile mouth. Keep on top of this, no matter what the cause.

thanks very much for in the info. i've started both of them on QUITT and upped their hay supply. i believe the chewing has subsided or at least been reduced but i will definitely have their teeth checked. i wasn't aware they could do so much damage to themselves, never mind the fence.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:56 pm

hi mightyhijames

I expect the wood fencing that you indicate the horses are "chewing" (your word) is pressure treated...but not creosoted.

I have NEVER heard of a horse chewing on or eating properly creosote-treated lumber...but they will often chew on and/or eat pressure-treated lumber like it's candy...especially if they're mineral deficient, as madelyn suggested.

I strongly suggest that you take advantage of madelyn's recommendation and place a large mineral block somewhere in the pasture. In the vicinity of the horses' drinking water might be a good location.

Although I expect it might help...I don't expect it will stop the chewing on the lumber.

Respectfully

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:08 am

FOS wrote:hi mightyhijames

I expect the wood fencing that you indicate the horses are "chewing" (your word) is pressure treated...but not creosoted.

I have NEVER heard of a horse chewing on or eating properly creosote-treated lumber...but they will often chew on and/or eat pressure-treated lumber like it's candy...especially if they're mineral deficient, as madelyn suggested.

I strongly suggest that you take advantage of madelyn's recommendation and place a large mineral block somewhere in the pasture. In the vicinity of the horses' drinking water might be a good location.

Although I expect it might help...I don't expect it will stop the chewing on the lumber.

Respectfully

you're right, it's pressure treated, not creosote. as for the mineral deficiency, i started them both on a vitamin supplement about 4 weeks ago and switched them to QUITT about a week ago. they've always had a mineral and salt block next to their water, and all the hay they can eat. i'm pretty sure they are still chewing to some degree so, at this point, i'm assuming it's out of boredom, although they do have some 'toys' in the field. at this point, i don't know what else to do; i'm just hoping to keep them isolated to the two posts they've already damaged and then replace those in the spring.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:54 pm

I have four mares and all receive the same feed and they have free choice 20-20 menerials. One is a cribber, the other three do not crib.

try running a hot wire along the fence they are chewing. Cribbing collar might be worth trying.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]