bone chips

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

brooke
Allowance Winner

bone chips

Postby brooke » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:59 am

i have a mare that was just diagnosed with a bone chip in her knee and arthritis around it. vet is telling me there's no hope for her running . though this is not a race horse vet. if i opt to have the ortho surgery perfermed, how do horses usually recover and are there ways to take care of arthritis?
There will be discouraging times. But a life without horses;
Now that's discouraging.

Ryeno
Allowance Winner

Postby Ryeno » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:14 am

Hi Brooke,

I have had 3 horses that had chips in their knee.The one that had its chipped removed only ran 3 races after that winning one and then the other knee started getting pressure in it so i decided to stop on her.I had a gelding that fractured his knee as a two year old and i gave him a year off and he returned late in his three year old year and i only got one race into him.When i brought him back as a 4 year old he won 3 races and ended up winning 5 lifetime and made around 50K but he starting going off on the knee again so we gave him away to a girl as a riding horse.The other one had a chip on the outside of the knee and the vet recommended we leave it alone.We injected him a few times throughout the year and he won 2 races before he was claimed and he still is running 3 years later.IMO i have found most times they are better to leave them in if you can work on them.A good MSM/glucosimine suplement is a start as well as putting them on a Adaquin/Legend program.I used to use a medication called Arthro but it has been off the market here in Canada for a long time but it worked well.One vet i once talked to said you have a better chance of getting them there without operating as sometimes when an operation is performed the location of the chip fragments further.I have also had succes keeping these horses relatively sound by keeping them in shoes with no toe grabs.
Ryeno
"The easiest way to end up with a million dollars in the horseracing business is to start with 3 million!"

brooke
Allowance Winner

Postby brooke » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:19 am

how long after a bone chip is discovered do you have to get it removed? is it one of those things you can wait out and just see?
There will be discouraging times. But a life without horses;

Now that's discouraging.

Ryeno
Allowance Winner

Postby Ryeno » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:36 am

Hi Brooke,

The calcification starts fairly soon unless the chip is completely detached.The longer you wait the more calcifiction there is and you wont be able to remove it.

Ryeno
"The easiest way to end up with a million dollars in the horseracing business is to start with 3 million!"

teb
Allowance Winner

Postby teb » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:20 pm

I have a broodmare that ran until she was 7 with chips removed as a 2yo. She won 4 and placed several times. She had a light racing campaign and loads of heart. She has been on a Gluco/MSM supp since coming to us as she was really sore when she got here. She is doing wonderfully and it really does work.
Have an 11 year old gelding that had the worst chips in a hock he'd ever seen. This was a horse I rescued. His advise was to put him down as his future didn't look to bright for ever coming sound again. I left him out for a year for the injury to heal and not only did it come sound again, I ride him every day and he will be doing some riding club stuff this year. I, however, do not have any shoes on him behind and will not put shoes on him behind so ground will always be an issue where we go. He doesn't need them as I have seen him doing the most amazing things whilst out in the field and he has incredible balance in all ground conditions. He is also on a gluco/msm supp and at 11 he is working on his second childhood. He was a hurdler/chaser until age 9.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:16 am

I believe it totally depends on where the chip is, size, etc. There is no uniform, standard chip. I had a gelding who had a big chip in his hock that extended downward toward the moving part of the joint... it was non displaced. It kept coming up with fluid because of the aggravation, but the prognosis if we took it out was pretty bad. Sold him as a trail horse. He could move on it fine at normal paces.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

thorohorse
Weanling

Postby thorohorse » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:19 pm

The microscopic surgery can be very effective and succesful. If it is still attached and not in a spot that hinders movement of the joint, this is a better thing and perhaps can be left in. Time off with a blister to promote faster healing is called for. If it's in an area of movement, you want to take it out. No matter what course of action you take, you'll want to follow it up with Hyloronic acid enjections. This will promote over all healing of the joint, or at the very least aid in further distruction of the joint.
Sometimes the simplest thing can make all the difference.

teb
Allowance Winner

Postby teb » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:22 pm

Not all the time, my horse was given a bleaker prognosis with bone chip removal. If it's one chip, have it removed, but I was dealing with mulitple chips. Really he shouldn't have recovered as he did, but he did and I'm over the moon he did. He is on coraflex HA.
teb