riding boots

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

brooke
Allowance Winner

riding boots

Postby brooke » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:00 pm

i need a pair of riding boots with lots of grip and support, for galloping. any suggestions where to start?
There will be discouraging times. But a life without horses;
Now that's discouraging.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:33 am

Ariats. The riders up here pretty much all wear chaps. They usually get them custom made, some are really fancy. Sort of like a trademark. Aqua with white fringe, for example... You could get good solid Ariat paddock boots and top with heavy suede half chaps if you don't want the bulk of full chaps. You also get a MUCH more flexible ankle.

I love my suede half chaps. Full chaps bother my old knees... but mine aren't custom. I also have a simply fantastic pair of Ariats that are too hot for where you are.. they are mountain horse boots, with a heavy leather foot and suede leg with adjustable velcro straps up the leg to tighten to fit. They are sheepskin lined. They retail for $298 and I got them in a clearance sale for about forty bucks. They are simply incredible. You also could check out mountain horse boots, there are other brands.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Intrinsic Worth
Starters Handicap

Postby Intrinsic Worth » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:07 pm

I love Landi Paddock Boots. They are around the same price as Ariats, but last much longer and are more comfortable.
All men are equal on the turf - or under it.

CS
Maiden Special Weight

Postby CS » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:06 pm

I love Ariats. However, I was wearing them out way too fast for what they cost. Mine would only last about 8 months before they were toast. Great boots for the casual rider, but I got sick of buying new ones when I worked and rode in them every day.

On my husband's suggestion I tried out Double H boots. I bought my pair over 2 years ago and they barely show any wear. I got the 10 inch packer variety. These are very tall paddock type lace up boots - a bit more on the western end of the fashion scale, but very comfortable and durable. The extra height provides great ankle support, especially when you step in a hole in the pasture. :wink:

I too like half chaps better than full chaps. They are much cooler in the summer and easier to ride in (in my opinion).