Corrective trimming/shoeing on yearling filly

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Codysmom55
Weanling

Corrective trimming/shoeing on yearling filly

Postby Codysmom55 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:12 pm

I've got a lovely newly turned yearling filly (birthday is in February) that we are going to show at halter this year. She is a leggy baby with lots of room for growth. My trainer is the type that takes his time with these babies, so she will get the time to develop and mature the old fashioned way.

I enjoy this forum and appreciate all the knowledge that the posters have and would like some opinions on a question that I have. This filly's cannon bone on her left leg appears to not come as straight out of her knee as I would like. Sometimes it looks like it is o.k., but other times, she appears to be a bit crooked. Can we trim or even shoe this filly in a corrective manner that might help straighten her up a bit on this leg? I have a wonderful shoer at my barn, but I really don't know my trainer's shoer, so I thought I would throw this out and see what some of you guys might think about this.

Thanks a bunch!

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:29 am

Sometimes it looks OK, other times its looks . . . a bit crooked? Hmmmm, you had better get a clearer perspective on this. Corrective shoeing and trimming are methods that should only be used when a problem is clearly defined and that corrective work can solve. It sounds to me like you need a VET to evaluate your filly as physitis is a possibility. Bowing of a cannon bone is not uncommon during natural growth spurts, so I'm encouraging you to think optimistically. Sometimes natural growing bowing can occur on one or both legs. Patience and keen observation are clearly two tools you will want to use with your filly. but good veterinary advice is what you need right now!

Codysmom55
Weanling

Postby Codysmom55 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:30 am

Hi Shammy,

Thank you for your reply. This filly is in an awkward stage and perhaps that is the basis for my indecisive description. I definitely hope this is part of her growth, as her mother and dad are straight in this area. Could you please tell me what physitis is? For sure, I am not going to push for anything to be done unless guided by my vet.

Thanks.

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:39 pm

In layman's terms, it is an abnormal formation or development of the growth plates in the knee. It can occur as a result of injury, nutrition, disease, or congential factors. Personally, your description, though vague, leads me to conclude that physitis is not the problem as you have described the cannon as crooked. I'm thinking bowed slightly. Is that what you are saying? Is the filly giving you a toe-in appearance with the crooked leg? Yearlings tend to have more incidence of physitis than any other equine age, and that is why I encourage you to seek the advice of a vet immediately. It may be nothing, but I can tell you that juvenile growth is complicated from their teeth to hooves and I'm sure there is no one on this board that would tell you to delay.

Codysmom55
Weanling

Postby Codysmom55 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:44 pm

Hi Shammy,

This filly is with my trainer, so I don't see her but every couple of weeks. She had acquired a bobo on her left back leg and has been seen by two vets in the last couple of weeks.
To me, when I look straight on at this filly's front legs, her left hoof appears to me that it could belong on her right front leg. That is what really prompted me to post here. Could be the way she is trimmed. She is trimmed on a regular basis, but maybe the hoof and the way it appears is giving me the impression that the cannon bone is not straight.

I appreciate your help here and thank you for responding. Your answers on previous posts are informative and educational and I enjoy learning new things.

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:45 pm

Normally Vets give a thorough exam. You can only hope that they have given your filly a complete one. Stem to stern, so to speak. With the daily observations of your trainer, I would think that a filly in distress or having abnormal conformational or physiological characteristics would be noticed. I hope that is the case with your filly. There are countless equine horror stories. I just don't like to hear them. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, as I often hear said. Best wishes for you and your filly. :wink:

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:10 pm

the way you describe it(one hoof looks like it belongs to the other leg)it seems to me she is already being corrected may be even overcorrected.It is my opinion that after 8-9 months old it is too late to do corrections and only make the foot land in an un-natural way(not flat)and causes problems later in the horse life.next time you see her lift her feet and verify if they are balanced,not sheared and look that when she walks ahe lands flat.if she is to be a using horse and stay sound it is very important.
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

Codysmom55
Weanling

Postby Codysmom55 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:36 am

Thank you for your interest and replies. I appreciate all the information everyone has given me in response to my original question. This forum is a such a wonderful way to get other people's opinions and recommendations.

BJ, Thank you so much for the in depth information you sent me. That was very kind of you and I appreciate it.