Horses in estrus during training- for school

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Kari
Allowance Winner

Horses in estrus during training- for school

Postby Kari » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:19 am

I'm in a class right now where the instructor is focusing mostly on small animals, but someone brought up the topic of "race horses in heat at the track". One classmate said that it is common practice for colts to have Vicks Vapo-Rub placed in their nostrils so that they aren't distracted by fillies and mares in heat. I believe that my professor concurs with that, but he has previously stated that horses aren't his strong suit. Does anyone here actually do that or something similar with their colts?

And, while I'm here, I need clarifying on this, too. What drug(s) are commonly given to mares and fillies in training for heat suppression? Is it Regumate? Or is there something else given in addition to that? All of my current textbooks just talk about heat synchronization in horses, not delaying heat cycles for weeks and months on end.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:21 am

Vicks in the nostrils, yup. Also for colts/stallions shipping with fillies/mares. Keeps the squabbling down.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: Horses in estrus during training- for school

Postby ageecee » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:08 pm

[quote="Kari"]I'm in a class right now where the instructor is focusing mostly on small animals, but someone brought up the topic of "race horses in heat at the track". One classmate said that it is common practice for colts to have Vicks Vapo-Rub placed in their nostrils so that they aren't distracted by fillies and mares in heat. I believe that my professor concurs with that, but he has previously stated that horses aren't his strong suit. Does anyone here actually do that or something similar with their colts?

And, while I'm here, I need clarifying on this, too. What drug(s) are commonly given to mares and fillies in training for heat suppression? Is it Regumate? Or is there something else given in addition to that? All of my current textbooks just talk about heat synchronization in horses, not delaying heat cycles for weeks and months on end.[/quote]

I use regumate on my fillies. There may be somethine else to give to fillies but i dont know what it is.

Lindros
Yearling

Postby Lindros » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:32 pm

Regumate is used a lot; Depo-Provera sometimes and yes, lots of vicks for shipping, in the sales ring etc.

Kari
Allowance Winner

Postby Kari » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:32 pm

Depo-Provera? :!: Get out of town! How do trainers get a hold of that for horse use? Is it administered every 3 months for horses too? Do tell!
I can't get over using Vicks. I can't get over the fact that I never heard of that before now, either. It seems too simple to work. I'll be looking for an excuse to try that now.

Lindros
Yearling

Postby Lindros » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Kari: Vets can purchase Depo Provera. (When I worked as a vet tech I used to order it for myself all the time. It's exactly the same product. Exept a bit cheaper that way.) The vet I worked for never used it.
I believe it needs to be administered every week (but I might be wrong).

If all those women would know that it was used on horses first... lol...

Kari
Allowance Winner

Postby Kari » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:48 pm

:shock: I need to get out of small animal world. Wait 'til I start telling my friends that have been on the Depo-injections. Thanks for the insight!