NAVICULAR DISEASE - A Different Look

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

NAVICULAR DISEASE - A Different Look

Postby Shammy Davis » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:28 pm

I was trimming one of my newer OTTB's last week. He has the typical OTTB long toe short heel configuration so I've been working on taking off the toe in hopes that the heel will grow. I reminded myself at the time that long toe short heel syndrome is a prime cause of navicular disease. I often have to remind myself of that because most people think that navicular disease is attributed to short upright pasterns and the resulting trauma from the concussion. That's true, but both situations cause equal damage. If you own a horse that has LTSH syndrome make sure your farrier trims to encourage heel growth. With the older OTTB it is an up hill battle, I can tell you. In the interim, restrict the hard exercise or you will have a chronically lame horse. It's 6 of 1 or 1/2 dozen of the other with navicular disease. I wonder how correctly the track farriers, who cut horse's heels down to nothing, would walk if we removed the heels from their boots? It's an experiment I wouldn't mind trying just to make a point. :wink:

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:46 pm

It still boggles my mind they trim that way with all the evidence of the damage it causes. :shock:
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

teb
Allowance Winner

Postby teb » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:30 pm

This isn't necessarily about a racehorse, but 3 years ago a friend of mine recieved and American Quarter Horse, who was 20 by the way, from the states. The owners were moving to France and they wante their beloved mare to stay with Carol in Ireland for a year before coming to France when their house would be done. Anyhow, the mare arrived safe and sound and was on all sorts of supplements, injections, and they couldn't believe the feet. Her heels were all scrunched up and she had pads covering the frogs on all 4 feet. The blacksmith was gobsmacked. He took all the hardware off and started trimming to get her feet to open up. Little by little she opened up and her feet did amazing. She also came off all her injections, and was fed a diffrent diet, and only on gluco. The transformation in this mare was unreal. I'll never forget the blacksmith looking at me and saying do you guys use these things a lot over there? And how is a horses foot suppose to breathe.
There is a web you all might be interested in, it's simonearleracing.com This guy is a trainer in England. He trains and races all horses barefoot and does quite well. He also has a horse walker that's filled with sea water and other innovative things. Quite an interesting guy.
Shammy, thanks for the advice on the turpentine. I had forgotten about turpentine. We have one place to get it here and I've already ordered it. And no I don't have shoes on her as I agree more with barefoot myself. None of my yearlings for prep or breaking get shoes for as long as I can go and never back ones. Ours are always chucked out in a field no matter what they are doing and I can't take a chance of them being kicked!
teb

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Postby Heidilady » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:52 am

teb, that site is fascinating. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. The videos and information they provide is impressive. I had heard something about the idea of barefoot racing before but I hadn't understood all that it achieved. Seems like it'd help prevent injury or help a horse recuperate from it and heaven knows we need more people thinking about that in this industry instead of how to best mask pain.

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:17 am

teb: Glad the turpentine was available for you. Further, your comments about the hoof needing to breath is right on. Best wishes - :wink: