equine herpes virus

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

mikec
Starters Handicap

Postby mikec » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:06 am

Yep ; I'd be interested in reading the entirety of whatever other topic you mentioned. Where would I find it ?
I suppose artificial insemination would resolve many of these issues, & then some, but I don't see that day arriving any time soon. But who knows - I never thought poly track would either.
Bring 'em back tired ; but bring 'em back sound !

mikec
Starters Handicap

Postby mikec » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:47 am

I found that post Jon...thanks !
As it turned out our mare " quick cycled " on us ( we missed it ) so we're going to leave her out there a while anyway since she hasn't even been covered yet. What an education !!!

ragsdaj
Allowance Winner

Postby ragsdaj » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:56 am

I am out there with you somewhere in MD. My Mare left from KY today.

It's been a learning experience for me as well. It has actually been work.

mikec
Starters Handicap

Postby mikec » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:12 am

Work...yes ; but lovin' every second of it !!!
I don't generally like surprises or last second snap judgements so I'm already looking for breaking & training facilities...let the games begin !
Anybody with any bright ideas pertaining to breaking & training, places they've had pleasurable experiences with, please chime in. I was thinking Florida until I got my first rate quote. Maybe I'll switch to plan B now. :roll:

ragsdaj
Allowance Winner

Postby ragsdaj » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:49 am

I am a little like you in that regard although your ahead of me. You have to assume that the progeny will be stellar and competive so I am looking at what stakes race win (laugh) I want to pursue. That will tell me where I want to find a trainer and then whether or not I need to find a partner or not. I believe I am breeding a turf horse, but I have not been able to get properly educated on what makes a horse a turf horse versus a dirt horse.
Pedigrees look basically the same. Anyway I digress.

I would watch the track leading trainer boards where you would like to run and find one that has a winning percentage, but maybe not the largest number of entries and start getting prices from there.

mikec
Starters Handicap

Postby mikec » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:22 am

I don't think I was very clear. I'm not actually thinking about a trainer for the track as yet but merely someplace for breaking / training purposes.
I'll wait until all the N. J. trainers come back from Florida etc. so I can actually speak to some of them in person. Our mare actually has some history with a trainer out of Colonial Downs but I doubt he gets to Monmouth / Meadowlands much.
As far as projecting the ability of my babies...I prefer to think humbly as I believe it's far less painful to adjust my sights higher if my aim is too low. :wink:

ragsdaj
Allowance Winner

Postby ragsdaj » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:52 am

expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed.

I believe everytime I buy a lotto ticket I will win too, but I haven't commited suicide after I lose yet. It is my plan to be humbled by the first race, win lose or draw.

As far as training facilities go, then are you planning to do some of the beginning start work yourself?

mikec
Starters Handicap

Postby mikec » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:06 am

Well ; sort of. Goes without saying that this is assuming all goes well with the baby from weanling - yearling - 2yr. old. As a yearling, somewhere around June-September depending on your point of view, size of the yearling etc..., I'll send it off to a training facility to be broken & get the basic ground work. I'll keep it at the training facility until " track ready " when I'll send it off to whatever trainer I've chosen who will continue preparing it until race ready. There's a long way to go between now & then and lot's of flies can appear in the ointment but that's the approach.

ragsdaj
Allowance Winner

Postby ragsdaj » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:53 am

may the next Kelso be in your future.