Switching from paste wormer to Strongid C2X daily pellets

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Bondama
Grade III Winner

Switching from paste wormer to Strongid C2X daily pellets

Postby Bondama » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:06 pm

A tb person I know with a beautiful mare strongly recommended the Strongid C2X daily pellet wormer, especially for tb's. I went ahead and bought a bucket of it, but now I'm wondering when I should start? I last wormed with paste at the beginning of February, so should I begin at the beginning of March with the pellets? Anybody have any suggestions? :roll:
Justice: When you get what you deserve.
Mercy: When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace: When you get what you don't deserve.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:16 pm

I looked into the pellets awhile back.. expensive, awkward and impossible for 35 horses. But at the time my vet said to paste worm, then start pellets a couple of days later.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:10 am

if you got to the thoroughbred times website and do a search on worming in the archives, they have a good article about the whens/whats/whys of worming. at least, i thought it was helpful.

brooke
Allowance Winner

Postby brooke » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:40 pm

I used to use strongid daily on my QH barrel horses. I had a particular mare that kept swirl patterns in her coat unless she was on this stuff, and kept her normally high parasite count down. ive never tried it on my tbs though. i will have to say, the year i used it i think i had the prettiest coats. Im not claiming for sure it was that though.
There will be discouraging times. But a life without horses;
Now that's discouraging.

Cathy D
Allowance Winner

Postby Cathy D » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:11 am

I believe you use a good wormer like Ivermectin, then start on the Strongid C within a few days. Strongid C doesn't replace all other wormers, though. You will still need to do quarterly wormings with another product like Ivermectin. Might be best to consult with your veterinarian about the worming program.