Boots for old osselets?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Boots for old osselets?

Postby skeenan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:51 pm

I've been thinking that I should get Bell some support boots for her front legs, before I start working her under saddle this spring. I don't want her ankles taking a beating in our new pasture, which is flat but not very cushy.

Should she even need boots with careful exercise (sometimes I know constricting areas can be worse) and does anyone have any good recommendations? I was leaning towards the Professional Choice boots that have the tendon support strap.

Just doing flat work training, no jumping...

Thanks! :D

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:08 pm

If they are old osselets, you shouldn't need anything. I would steer clear of any open front boots as that could cause some uncomfortable rubbing. The professional choice should be fine.
I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else. ~ Daria

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:50 am

I use the SMB on all of my horses and have been pleased for many years and so have my horses. When I had a small string of runners many yrs ago every one of my horses went to the track with SMB's on. Others thought I was nuts...all of my eventers went in them as well...LOVE "EM!
Fins to the Left....

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:08 pm

TBLADY wrote:I use the SMB on all of my horses and have been pleased for many years and so have my horses. When I had a small string of runners many yrs ago every one of my horses went to the track with SMB's on. Others thought I was nuts...all of my eventers went in them as well...LOVE "EM!

Oh, cool! Thanks for the feedback! :D