Twins

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Rick
Allowance Winner

Twins

Postby Rick » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:18 pm

My mare (Come on Joy)foaled out twins today. They are up and nursing. The vet says he has only seen one set of twins survive. Any thing I need to look out for? Do I need to get a nurse mare? If so, how do you go about getng one?

Thanks

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:16 pm

Oh best of luck with your TWO new horses! Naturally, check their iggies (immunoglobin levels) and monitor closely to make sure they are getting enough milk. Put out foal feeders also with foal starter pellets to supplement.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Lindros
Yearling

Postby Lindros » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:35 pm

Well, both of them are standing and nursing! That's great! Most of the time (even if twins are born alive) one of them is usually too weak to stand and nurse on its own and often dies after a day or two.
If you are worried that the mare is not producing enough milk you can supplement with milk replacer. Most foals will figure out quickly how to drink out of a bucket. And like Madelyn mentioned put foal pellets out for the twins.
A friend of mine had a mare die when her foal was only 2 days old. The same night an other mare foaled. She rubbed the newly orphaned foal all over with the mares placenta and then carried him in the mares stall and covered him with the placenta. The mare accepted to foal as her own. She nursed both foals without any problems (she was well fed of course).
Good luck to you!

magic code
Starters Handicap

Postby magic code » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:09 pm

WOW! Just in the last couple of days on two other boards I post to, members had mares who foaled twins. See the thread in Sport Horse Breeding at www.chronicleforums.com and this one - http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.com/ ... 1143490856

And with your two, all six foals appear alright! I agree, since your babies made it past birth and nursing, things look good.