Opinion's please on "warming up"

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

trackgal
Maiden Special Weight

Opinion's please on "warming up"

Postby trackgal » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:47 pm

I recently went to watch my freinds horse train at the track, he is having some soundness issues, As soon as we got there the horse was in the stall, they tacked him up, not one complete turn in the shed, and as soon as this horse hit the gap at the track he was off galloping HELLO who does this?! I am a former ex.rider, I have worked for the good the bad and the downright ugly, How can any trainer expect a horse to stay sound without some time in the shedrow, no jog, nothing. this trainer said "oh I like to get done by 11: am," so sad I wish owner's would be alittle more educated about there horses and really be picky about who they give their horses to.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:13 pm

That is one SURE WAY to make a horse body sore all over.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:52 pm

If the owner is a friend of yours, maybe you should help with his or her education.

trackgal
Maiden Special Weight

Postby trackgal » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:25 pm

Actually, this horse is owned by 4 partner's I was hoping I could get enough feedback on here so I could have them read this.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:21 pm

Well look at it this way. If you went to the gym and walked in, plunked down and bench pressed your own body weight, whizzed through every machine doing at least 10 reps with at least 50 pounds, you would not be able to drag yourself home, let alone walk the next day. It's recommended that you start on a cardio machine (stepper, treadmill, bike, etc.) until you get your heart rate up, maybe start a sweat, and warm up all the muscles to get the blood supply moving in all the muscle groups before you go to strenuous work. Why would a horse be different? Not only that, but the horse would have all those painful nitrogen crystals when he got cooled out, hence "body sore"...
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Postby kezeli » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:02 am

What happened to a jog around the outside, use to be standard procedure to go about half way around the turn from the gap oppisite dirrection befor a gallop if only to see the "climate" of the other horses/excercise riders. I always thought it was for safety AND warm-up??