its happened again!

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

brooke
Allowance Winner

its happened again!

Postby brooke » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:46 pm

last year I had a nice can. bred mare that was 10 months pregnant to get severly injured. We never figured out how she almost cut her foot of just below the ankle. worst part is we lost the mare and foal. mare foaled and it took so much out of her we had to put her down. Now i just got a call from our farm manager, and another mare due today, has injured herself, no sign of a puncture, just came up limping with her forearm swollen something horrible. Vet has put her on Peniscilin shots everyday along with another antibiotic. to save my life we dont know how she did it! now im scared to death im going to lose another foal. i guess my biggest worry is, are these drugs safe for the foal?
There will be discouraging times. But a life without horses;
Now that's discouraging.

mary syers
Allowance Winner

Antibiotics

Postby mary syers » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:20 am

Brooke,
Nothing is best in a late term pregnant mare, but I have routinely seen such mares on penicillin and gentimycin(probably the 2nd antibiotic) that do fine. Take a deep breath and hope and prayer for the best. Good things do happen, even in the horse world. Mary Syers

PS Penicillin is for gram positive bacteria and gentimycin works best on gram negative. Your vet is trying to get broad antibacterial coverage.

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Postby kezeli » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:25 am

It's better it happened in late term as there is more effect to the foal in the first part of pregnancy than later, nothing is perfect but the news isn't all that grim. Somebody better do a paddock walk through!!

brooke
Allowance Winner

Postby brooke » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:46 am

All the mares are turned out on a 20 acre fescue free pasture, well as much free as can be done. wood fencing, trees are all pruned up away from the horses. we have walked the perimeter and in between many times and just cant figure out what happened.
the 2nd med that you listed is correct, i just couldnt remember it right of hand.
There will be discouraging times. But a life without horses;

Now that's discouraging.