Prolapsed vagina (on one side) on 3 day old foal ...

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Prolapsed vagina (on one side) on 3 day old foal ...

Postby TrueColours » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:51 pm

A friend of mine is panicking. Her 3 day old foal has a prolapsed vagina on one side only.

The vet who came to see her and has a large repro practice in his clinic, said that this is the 2nd one he has seen in his life (and he has been in practice for 25+ years), he pushed it back in, the foal is on antibiotics and he recommended icing it several times per day to get the swelling down, putting an antibiotic cream on it, give her probiotics and yogurt to have everything flow as smoothly as possible and watch and see ... he said if it was older, they might be able to staple it, but it wasnt recommended in a 3 day old ..

The foal has no temperature and is perky and bright and eating well.

He felt that either she strained to pass something (but what??? as the milk is coming in now and she has the mustard poops and is on the verge of diarreah anyhow) or - as she was nursing, if she was being rough, he said the mare may have reached around and bitten her on the lips of the vulva and pulled hard enough to prolapse the vagina on her on the one side only.

Has anyone had this happen before? Treatment? Prognosis? Complications? Anything I need to tell her to watch for or question?

Any/all suggestions would be MOST appreciated that I can pass on to her!

Thanks everyone ...
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:10 am

Hmmm. I haven't had that happen yet... but I HAVE had them straining so hard to pass that first hard black poop that it took two or three enemas, which is why I stay with a newborn for the first 4-6 hours and watch very closely. Straining like that can cause hernias and who knows what else. With a filly that young, there is nothing to do but follow instructions and wait and see..
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....