shedding question

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

brooke
Allowance Winner

shedding question

Postby brooke » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:33 pm

I have 2 yearlings one is a Feb. foal and the other a May.. anyway, cant get either of them to shed out. both came from different farms about 3 months ago. have been wormed vigorously and to the date. on balanced diets, including stabalized rice bran. what are some other reason they havnt lost any of there wool? its been prett warm in TN for the past couple of weeks, and all the others have lost the majority of there shag! any suggestions?
There will be discouraging times. But a life without horses;
Now that's discouraging.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:59 pm

Give mother nature a helping hand and grab the body clippers

Skipitgirl
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Skipitgirl » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:20 pm

Yikes! DONT body clip now. It messes with the natural coat that is under there! Bathe them, saturate them in baby oil (I use a fly sprayer) and leave it. Bathe again at least 24 hours later to remove the oil and hair. It helps to loosen the winter hair and the shedding will begin and should be finished realatively quickly. The problem areas like the belly may take a few days longer. I learned this trick as a show groom and as the yearling prep for a QH ranch that ran their yearling out all winter and brought them in 4 weeks before the sping sales.

Intrinsic Worth
Starters Handicap

Postby Intrinsic Worth » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:03 pm

5 days of Panacur helps a lot
All men are equal on the turf - or under it.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:50 am

Skipitgirl wrote:Yikes! DONT body clip now. It messes with the natural coat that is under there! Bathe them, saturate them in baby oil (I use a fly sprayer) and leave it. Bathe again at least 24 hours later to remove the oil and hair. It helps to loosen the winter hair and the shedding will begin and should be finished realatively quickly. The problem areas like the belly may take a few days longer. I learned this trick as a show groom and as the yearling prep for a QH ranch that ran their yearling out all winter and brought them in 4 weeks before the sping sales.

Now THAT sounds like a really hot tip. I'm going to try it on the shaggy grey mare I got from the killpen. The 5 days of fenbendazole (Panacur) didn't help her shed (I use Safeguard in the 290gm tube because it is half the price, same stuff).
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

brooke
Allowance Winner

Postby brooke » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:37 pm

thanks a lot for the suggestion!!! will def have to try the baby oil trick!!
There will be discouraging times. But a life without horses;

Now that's discouraging.

Skipitgirl
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Skipitgirl » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:04 pm

I also should mention that I spent 30 minutes morning and evening grooming the yearlings. Makes a difference.