Won't stand still

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Foxie
Suckling

Won't stand still

Postby Foxie » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:41 am

I bought an OTTB that raced for 9-10 years. I have a problem...he won't doesn't stand still. He will stand to tack up and he stands no problem in the paddocks but he won't stand if I'm in the arena tighting up the girth, lower my stirrups. He trailers great but as soon as that trailer stops he needs to get off right away and walk. I took him to a show and they didn't have a stall for rent...he basicly walked around and around the whole time. Really annoying for me great for burning off calories. :lol:

My question is....are track horses taught this behaviour or does my horse have ADD?

Does anyone have any training tips for me to get him to stop and stand?(at least for a little bit!!)

Thanx

Kristie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Kristie » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:30 am

Saw Chris Cox address this problem on one of his shows. Basically, if the horse won't stand still or walks all over you, he puts him to work. (of course, he uses his rope halter and 14' lead he designed! :D ) When he won't stand still he would lunge him, making him change directions frequently. After a couple minutes he gives the horse the opportunity to stand still again and if he moves, lunges him with frequent changes of direction again. Doesn't seem to take too long for the horse to decide that standing still is a good thing. And yes, it's more than likely a learned behavior for your horse. Years of when he's saddled up it's time to MOVE!

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:00 pm

I almost worship Chris Cox. His was the first demo of natural horsemanship I ever saw, and I learned a great, great deal that day.

That said, if you cannot take the time to re-train, I have another suggestion.

I was massaging a mare in a stall one day, and a gelding cross-tied in the aisle in front of her stall was dancing around and acting stupid. The show was wearing on the mare, and thusly on me, so I took it upon myself to Do Something.

I stepped into the aisle and did a few relaxation moves on the horse involving the neck and shoulder, both sides. By the time I was finished, he was completely relaxed, and danced no more, so I could finish with the mare.

Perhaps he just has some tight muscles, and acts silly when he thinks they are going to be worked again.

YMMV.
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an