Bagging up on one side only???

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Bagging up on one side only???

Postby TrueColours » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:35 am

I have a mare that is officially due on June 19th according to the lady I bought her from (and I am just checking with her now to verify for sure ...)

She is bagged up incredibly big and hard on her left side and her right side is totally flacid with no bag at all... Her tail is like spaghetti (VERY limp!) and her vulva looks elongated to me. Her bum is still pretty firm, she has no wax, she is not particularily large but now I am wondering if perhaps she is due a full cycle earlier than first thought???

Also - is it possible that she has a blocked milk duct or??? And if it IS a blocked milk duct can it be flushed or do you just deal with the fact that milk only comes out from one side?

Thanks for any / all suggestions on this one! :)
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

mary syers
Allowance Winner

Bagging on one side

Postby mary syers » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:19 am

True Colors,
Palpate the bag on the side that is not filling. Do you feel lumps and bumps. Could be old scar tissue from mastitis. If that's true these quarters may never produce any milk. Mary Syers

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:05 am

Vet was out to see her this morning and said while not common, isnt that rare either.

He called it a "blind" bag and said it may release milk into it and may not and if it doesnt - no big deal - the foal will nurse from the other side only

I thought that maybe it was a blocked duct or something??? :?

But I will palpate it as well and see what I can find

Thanks Mary! :)
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed