Improving a mares milk

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Jean
Allowance Winner

Improving a mares milk

Postby Jean » Wed May 17, 2006 5:30 am

We have a freindwho recently had a mare foal that is not producing enough milk for her foal. Gave her one shot of oxytocin, feeding free choice salt and hay and a quality broodmare ration. Any ideas how to get her to increase?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed May 17, 2006 5:33 am

Hmm.. I'm not a vet, but I believe oxytocin stimulates contractions of the uterus... domperidone stimulates milk production.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

pretender
Weanling

Postby pretender » Wed May 17, 2006 11:38 am

If you are not adding some table salt to her feed or in her hay try that. Add just enough that she will still eat it.

Intrinsic Worth
Starters Handicap

Postby Intrinsic Worth » Thu May 18, 2006 8:28 am

Oxytocin also stimulates milk production. Domperidone works the best. The idiots at Overbrook gave Domperidone a week or two before the mare was actually due. By the time she would have her foal, all of the colostrum was gone.
All men are equal on the turf - or under it.

Chanter
Weanling

Herbs for milk production

Postby Chanter » Mon May 22, 2006 12:44 pm

Fennel & blessed thistle are both widely used to help with increase production of mares milk. They can be found combined together in expensive prepackaged containers or...

One can simply go to: http://www.herbalcom.com/store.php3?lis ... 5439d172c9

At $1.90 a pound for fennel, & $4.30 for the cut a shifted Blessed Thistle, it is easy to save money over the "fancy labeled" containers of herbs. Fenugreek is another herb you may strongly wish to consider adding. At $1.95 a pound, another natural bargain.

A quality pre &/or probiotic would be a good addition, if not already in use. Then my all time favorite for any horse would be the addition of Source-once again, if not already a staple of the diet.

Stay away from sage & parsley (at this time) which may decrease milk flow.

Good luck. :D

stan
Newborn

Postby stan » Sun May 28, 2006 2:45 pm

Intrinsic Worth wrote:Oxytocin also stimulates milk production. Domperidone works the best. The idiots at Overbrook gave Domperidone a week or two before the mare was actually due. By the time she would have her foal, all of the colostrum was gone.
Actually us idiots at Overbrook give Domperidone to a mare when she is past 342 days AND past her personal average foaling date AND she has little to no bag. I would say that this last year 10% of the mares received it tops and not all of them lost their colostrum. Also only two were on it for more than a week. If they did lose their colostrum though, we gave the babies a unit from our bank. Only one baby had to be given plasma all year. So what is worse Intrinsic Worth/Iasi/Rapadash? A few mares losing their colostrum and giving the babies some from our bank, or having a mare foal with no milk? I know you worked at Overbrook and apparently it was a horrible experience for you, I don't know why I think it is a very nice farm, and a pleasure to work for, but going on message boards and posting things that really stretch the truth because you are angry at a farm is really uncalled for and rude.

stan
Newborn

Re: Improving a mares milk

Postby stan » Sun May 28, 2006 4:19 pm

Jean wrote:We have a freindwho recently had a mare foal that is not producing enough milk for her foal. Gave her one shot of oxytocin, feeding free choice salt and hay and a quality broodmare ration. Any ideas how to get her to increase?
Oxytocin stimulates milk let down (in addition to uterine contractions). It does not necessarily increase milk production. Domperidone is a good choice, but is most effective when the mare has fescue toxicosis. The salt is a good idea as is feeding a little extra grain and hay (provided she is not already fat). Some mares just have poor milk production and maiden mares are usually a little light in the production department too. If that is the case you can always supplement the foal with a milk replacer. Since this thread is over a week old, this all might be a mute point.

Intrinsic Worth
Starters Handicap

Postby Intrinsic Worth » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:39 pm

stan wrote:
Intrinsic Worth wrote:Oxytocin also stimulates milk production. Domperidone works the best. The idiots at Overbrook gave Domperidone a week or two before the mare was actually due. By the time she would have her foal, all of the colostrum was gone.
Actually us idiots at Overbrook give Domperidone to a mare when she is past 342 days AND past her personal average foaling date AND she has little to no bag. I would say that this last year 10% of the mares received it tops and not all of them lost their colostrum. Also only two were on it for more than a week. If they did lose their colostrum though, we gave the babies a unit from our bank. Only one baby had to be given plasma all year. So what is worse Intrinsic Worth/Iasi/Rapadash? A few mares losing their colostrum and giving the babies some from our bank, or having a mare foal with no milk? I know you worked at Overbrook and apparently it was a horrible experience for you, I don't know why I think it is a very nice farm, and a pleasure to work for, but going on message boards and posting things that really stretch the truth because you are angry at a farm is really uncalled for and rude.

When I as there, EVERY mare received Domperidone AT LEAST 2 weeks before they were due. Another well known farm manager thought the practice was absurd and finally Overbrooks Br. Mgr told us to quit giving it to the mares.
All men are equal on the turf - or under it.