Skin issue

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Skin issue

Postby skeenan » Mon May 29, 2006 7:47 am

Just wondering if anyone has run across this...

My Morgan's coat looks healthy & shiny, but since his winter coat has shedded out I've noticed small scabs scattered around that are the size of pencil erasers. They're on his neck and body mostly. You can feel them when you run your hand across his coat, sometimes they lie flat, other times they cause the hair to tuft. It's almost like he was bitten by something, then it scabbed over. They aren't deep into the skin or bleed— they peel right off but usually take the hair with it. He doesn't have any welts or sores or anything. First year this has happened.

Our vet has looked at them and I'm giving both horses a bath today with EQ shampoo. I don't know if it's a skin condition (he's also tail rubbing again, to my frustration!) or perhaps an allergy to something... he is sometimes sensitive, he's broken out into hives before over fly spray. Haven't changed anything in our routine—same fly spray, food, hay, etc. Hasn't come into contact with any other horses. UTD on all shots, worming.

I'm more concerned that I've noticed one or two scabs on our other horse, so I'm hoping it's coincidence & not something contagious...

Any help is appreciated! :D

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Mon May 29, 2006 10:02 am

We had that a few years ago.. I called it winter scuzz, it was really a form of rain rot. It was from a blanket I had on my horse not being breathable. It looked really bad, but a iodine bath or some sort of medicated baqth.. And some good time out in the sun got rid of it.. I also heard mouthwash was good to dry it out, but I didnt use it because I thought the alcohol content would burn..

cewright
Allowance Winner

Postby cewright » Mon May 29, 2006 12:36 pm

We use listerene all the time for skin problems and have never had a problem. Seems to help.

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Mon May 29, 2006 1:35 pm

I went through this with one of my mares. We did iodine baths every 3 days and sprayed with iodine based treatment every day. You do need to make sure you remove the scabby areas carefully to pomote healing.
I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else. ~ Daria

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Mon May 29, 2006 1:59 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

I do check him over carefully and pick them off if they're loose. Gave both horses a bath today with the EQ shampoo and let it sit on a few minutes before rinsing. We also used a water curry & gave him a good rubdown to loosen the rest of his winter coat (I can't believe he has any left! I've been grooming like mad...). Hopefully it'll help!

Glad, anyway, that it's somewhat "normal"! I will try the iodine if it doesn't seem to clear up... thanks for the advice! :D