weird skin thing

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

CountryCuzzin
Suckling

weird skin thing

Postby CountryCuzzin » Tue May 30, 2006 3:11 pm

Ok, I think my gelding has a fungus. However, NOTHING will get rid of it. It is located on the girth line on the belly and down just a tad toward the rear. It itches him like crazy. I will see him lieing in the pasture just scratching his belly. He had it when I bought him, in March, but the heat seems to have made it worse. It is not hot or red like a hot spot, looks more like dry skin. I did find Miracle Mist, that eases the itch, but does not make the site clear up. Any suggestions?
CC

Jolene
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Jolene » Tue May 30, 2006 4:02 pm

EQyss Micro-Tek Spray for Horses. $20 at State Line Tack (or your local better feed store).

KamiBrooks
Starters Handicap

Postby KamiBrooks » Tue May 30, 2006 5:49 pm

I have two horses with sweet itch and they do what you're describing. They have crusty/itchy midline (belly), lay on their stomach and rock/scratch against the ground. They ALSO rub their mane horribly. This starts in the spring and goes through fly season.

Sweet itch is an alergy to a specific fly, something like "midge" fly. Solutions I've seen/tried
    - Athlete's Foot Powder (w/zinc) -- this has worked consistently for me. This also might work no matter what the cause.
    - Tea tree oil/Aloe (to help heal crusty areas, prevent infection)
    - Antihistamine additive -- didn't help much for mine, but makes sense since its an alergy
    - Steroid shot - supposed to last most of a season. I haven't tried it yet, but am debating it for one mare.
    - Fans in barns - midge flys are tiny and can't fly against the wind
    - Move horse to sea level or high altitudes where the midges don't exist (no such luck for me in Ohio)
    - Pajama suits (you can find them on the internet) - haven't tried it because it gets so hot/muggy here.
    - feed things that increase oils (I've seen a lot of people claim that flax seed helped).

Unfortunately, once they are start getting bitten by these little flys, the alergy is a season long issue, because it's actually the eggs from the flys that cause the reaction. The flys tend to bury the eggs under the skin in the main, tail and midline. I've read of a couple horses that were also severly affected on the lower legs (maybe long feathers?) who were seeking sea side homes as a result.

Hopefully this ISN'T what your horse has because it really sucks for the horse.

ragsdaj1
Allowance Winner

Postby ragsdaj1 » Tue May 30, 2006 7:41 pm

Try some scarlet oil.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue May 30, 2006 8:02 pm

Actually, just about the best repellent out there for "noseeums" is Avon Skin So Soft. It will also condition the skin. Witch hazel will relieve the itch and help with any swelling. You could mix them up in a spray bottle...
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

CountryCuzzin
Suckling

WHAT???????

Postby CountryCuzzin » Wed May 31, 2006 6:55 am

Thanks for the input and reccomendations. I have tried Tea Tree Oil, it is in the Miracle Mist, works ok but not great. Have tried the Avon stuff, did nothing. Have not tried scarlett oil, or the other thing that I can't remember, but I will reread it and write it down to try. Thanks, he is so miserable right now.
CC

Foxie
Suckling

Postby Foxie » Wed May 31, 2006 8:27 am

Try a vet cream called Hibitane. It's an anti fungal as well as an antibacterial cream I swear by this stuff.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed May 31, 2006 9:35 am

I once treated an Appaloosa mare in Florida who had it SO BAD she was mostly covered with elephant hide. The Skin So Soft won't relieve the itch, but it will REPEL the little "allteethnwings" bugs.

To relieve the elephant hide, you could give your horse antihistamines to reduce the allergic reaction, wash with witchhazel with some tea tree oil, and then COVER the sores with a good salve (diaper rash ointment might be good). It will stop anything else from biting the area again. Dusting the top all over with medicated body powder will mean other stuff doesn't stick to the salve.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Wed May 31, 2006 5:36 pm

Don't forget to disinfect like everything that comes in contact with your horse OR ANY OTHERS before you know it the whole barn could have fungie!