Louis's Blog on Inbreeding

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:58 am

Even better, there's a reason they have been a vanishing breed. They weren't as good at racing. Get that through your thick head. There is no conformation difference. There never has been. The whole purpose of the breed is racing. If the sires weren't producing winners, they weren't bred to. They did not produce some imaginary thicker bone. They were just plain slower than the stallions that were bred to.
They weren't pigeons. Pigeons have no correlation to horses. If your pigeons were producing bad bone, maybe they weren't being fed correctly. Were you buying cheap feed?

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:24 am

If Hirsch Jacobs were alive, he would tell you the following. Pigeons are no different than tbs. When you carry inbreeding too far, you know the results.

You train tbs & pigeons the same, you put a foundation on them, to get them fit, then you hold them there by not over training them. When you outcross pigeons & tbs, you will breed out their inherited weakness.

Both tbs & pigeons will breed garbage, when the nicking factor is not present. When the mating is changed both will breed superior progeny.

You can read the intelligent eyes in tbs & pigeons, as the eye is the camera to the brain.

You dont have the expierence to know the above, I wouldnt expect you to understand what i am talking about. Be well my love.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

Sailor Kenshin
Starters Handicap

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:33 am

Save us from weak, spindly, chicken-hearted TBs like Zenyatta, and all those tough old campaigners I see on regional tracks (8, 10, even 12-year-olds, running and winning).

I'm no expert on anything and don't pretend to be. I'm just a fan.

But people who ARE experts, often spend extravagant sums on yearlings and are sometimes disappointed.

Then there are experts who get a bargain, as in the filly-headed, chicken-hearted, weak, spindly today's-thoroughbred-Zenyatta.

Say, didn't she run at SA???

What I do believe is that there will always be an element of luck or surprpise or whatever you want to call it, in breeding, buying, training and racing.
Somebody bet on the gray!

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:52 am

Z was a NFB. she had tons of NP stallions & mares in her 5 generation pedigree. Please research her pedigree before you post. I you dont know one sire line from another, ask for help.

The 1st time i saw Z, i knew she was bred from a NFB mating. Her large frame & strong bone gave her away. Tons of love & peace my love.
Those without sin cast the first stone.

Louis Finochio

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:32 am

Z made most of her starts at the synth track , that kind of tracks are very horse friendly And have lower breakdowns rates, than any dirt tracks.

Z is inbred:

5x5 nashua
4x5 hail to reason
4x5 hoist the flag

and above all, very caring owners and a trainer, who know his game.

Louis, were are them repeated sire x daughter matings, were you talked about a page ago. So don,t let me down, I like to learn something.
Last edited by BenB on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:08 am

BenB wrote:
5x5 nashua
4x5 hail to reason
4x5 hoist the flag

Which is good enough to define a FB, if that is what Louis wants.

Let's look closely at Zenyatta's 5th generation:

12 no crosses to Phalaris
8 crosses to Phalaris
12 descend from the male line of Phalaris

Of the 12 with no Phalaris, only two, Occupy and Hyperion, are stallions
May 2013: Plan ahead now for the Phalaris/Teddy Centennial!
A horse gallops with his lungs
Perseveres with his heart
And wins with his character. --Tesio

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:46 am

louis finochio wrote:IYou dont have the expierence to know the above, I wouldnt expect you to understand what i am talking about. Be well my love.

Louis,

This kind of condescending snottery is very strange coming from someone who refuses to learn the basics of genetics.

People have spoon-fed information and links to you. You could not be bothered to learn anything. You could not even trouble yourself to download Adobe Reader software (it's free...).

You are in no position to dictate how genetics operates, because you don't know the basics.

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:06 am

louis finochio wrote:You train tbs & pigeons the same, you put a foundation on them, to get them fit, then you hold them there by not over training them. You can read the intelligent eyes in tbs & pigeons, as the eye is the camera to the brain.

Well this explains everything, now I am enlightened. Now I know that you run the little buggers just like a horse and then look them in the eye to see if they get it. I just might try pigeon racing myself, if I can perfect the eye-reading part. I have a little area in my backyard that would be perfect for a little pigeon track, just perfect to get them fit and enhance their bone structure. Oh wait, training doesn't always enhance their bone structure if they are inbred, but I will only get nfb birdies so I won't be disappointed and then I can practice going eyeball to eyeball with them to check for intelligence. Maybe they will be able to figure out MY intelligence, no doubt lacking since I believe I have raised my share of fashion-breds (horses that is, not pigeons as yet).

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:15 am

docjocoy wrote:
louis finochio wrote:You train tbs & pigeons the same, you put a foundation on them, to get them fit, then you hold them there by not over training them. You can read the intelligent eyes in tbs & pigeons, as the eye is the camera to the brain.

Well this explains everything, now I am enlightened. Now I know that you run the little buggers just like a horse and then look them in the eye to see if they get it. I just might try pigeon racing myself, if I can perfect the eye-reading part. I have a little area in my backyard that would be perfect for a little pigeon track, just perfect to get them fit and enhance their bone structure. Oh wait, training doesn't always enhance their bone structure if they are inbred, but I will only get nfb birdies so I won't be disappointed and then I can practice going eyeball to eyeball with them to check for intelligence. Maybe they will be able to figure out MY intelligence, no doubt lacking since I believe I have raised my share of fashion-breds (horses that is, not pigeons as yet).

Can pigeons have the "look of eagles"???? 8)

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:57 am

When you, drank to much maybe.

In dutch, there is a saying: Louis heeft een bord voor zijn kop.

Do not know how to translate it, but maybe for the better.

Sailor Kenshin
Starters Handicap

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:05 am

Try racing Peeps. They are quite resilient.
Somebody bet on the gray!

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:09 am

I'm pretty sure his kop needs a lot of help.

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

Postby Affirmed1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:26 pm

[quote="Bast"][quote="docjocoy"][quote="louis finochio"]You train tbs & pigeons the same, you put a foundation on them, to get them fit, then you hold them there by not over training them. You can read the intelligent eyes in tbs & pigeons, as the eye is the camera to the brain.

[/quote]

Well this explains everything, now I am enlightened. Now I know that you run the little buggers just like a horse and then look them in the eye to see if they get it. I just might try pigeon racing myself, if I can perfect the eye-reading part. I have a little area in my backyard that would be perfect for a little pigeon track, just perfect to get them fit and enhance their bone structure. Oh wait, training doesn't always enhance their bone structure if they are inbred, but I will only get nfb birdies so I won't be disappointed and then I can practice going eyeball to eyeball with them to check for intelligence. Maybe they will be able to figure out MY intelligence, no doubt lacking since I believe I have raised my share of fashion-breds (horses that is, not pigeons as yet).[/quote]

Can pigeons have the "look of eagles"???? 8)[/quote]

No, but they can have the look of rubber chickens. :shock:

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

thanks...

Postby Affirmed1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:29 pm

[quote="Sailor Kenshin"]Try racing Peeps. They are quite resilient.[/quote]

For bumping up the Peeps subthread. The main thread is becoming somewhat contentious. That bothers me, as I am all about peace, love and understanding.... 8)

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Re: thanks...

Postby Bast » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:48 pm

Affirmed1 wrote:
Sailor Kenshin wrote:Try racing Peeps. They are quite resilient.

For bumping up the Peeps subthread. The main thread is becoming somewhat contentious. That bothers me, as I am all about peace, love and understanding.... 8)

And there is the problem of Unwanted Peeps, languishing in the shops unsold after Easter, drying out with time.

With they ever race?