JC Pedigrees

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

JC Pedigrees

Postby vineyridge » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:52 pm

I've run into this fairly often in JC pedigrees, and I'm not talking about really old ones either.

They will have a horse in their database as a TB, and somewhere in the 5X pedigree there will be a horse with a notation "No information on file." How can that happen? How can they register a foal as a TB if they have no information on file for one of its ancestors?
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Re: JC Pedigrees

Postby Pan Zareta » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:55 pm

vineyridge wrote:I've run into this fairly often in JC pedigrees, and I'm not talking about really old ones either.

They will have a horse in their database as a TB, and somewhere in the 5X pedigree there will be a horse with a notation "No information on file." How can that happen? How can they register a foal as a TB if they have no information on file for one of its ancestors?

That effectively means 'no information in the digitized file'. I notice it most frequently w/ imports and TB's from ~1940 or earlier w/ obscure sires and/or dams. Why the digitized file doesn't include everything from the actual Stud Book registrations is still a mystery to me.

aethervox
Allowance Winner

Re: JC Pedigrees

Postby aethervox » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:48 pm

Pan Zareta wrote:
vineyridge wrote:I've run into this fairly often in JC pedigrees, and I'm not talking about really old ones either.

That effectively means 'no information in the digitized file'. I notice it most frequently w/ imports and TB's from ~1940 or earlier w/ obscure sires and/or dams. Why the digitized file doesn't include everything from the actual Stud Book registrations is still a mystery to me.

When I asked Equineline about a mare they had listed as 'no information on file' and gave them the info, they replied: "Unfortunately when you get to information that is listed that far back in history, we do have a few gaps in our information. We would have filled that information in had we needed to include her in a North American Sales Catalogue page or an equineline report, but that family has not come up."

It's one reason I like PedigreeQuery!