Live Cover and genetic Diversity--What Diversity?

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:25 pm

vineyridge wrote:I do have a question. How many variants of the Y have been identified in the TB? I know that the Y is basically the same for all male horses, but it does have a few variants. If one of those variants has to do with testosterone or androgen levels, that would make a huge impact on performance capability, wouldn't it?

A link to the latest publication on equine yDNA
http://www.academicjournals.org/ajb/PDF/pdf2011/28Nov/Rafeie%20et%20al.pdf
I'm afraid there's still no evidence for meaningful segregation (variants) among domestic horse sire lines, much less the TB. The report does note the need for a more detailed map of the equine y.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:05 am

DDT

Does that mean there really is no genetic line breeding or inbreeding to Native Dancer in a horse like Not For Love; a Mr. Prospector son o/o a Northern Dancer daughter???

Do you think it would be OK to breed NFL to a daughter of another Native dancer son?? Or, for that matter to a daughter of Mr. Prospector or a Mr Prospector son as long as there is no X in-breeding or line-breeding??

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:37 am

griff

You lost me there, what I was trying to say was that the stallions mentioned all descend from Phalaris, therefore they all carry his Y chromosome. Then I said that I did not think the Y chromosome carried any genes going to performance because if it did how do so many fillies and mares become superior runners without it, a logical conclusion if you ask me.

As to inbreeding or line breeding, how would a chromosome that is mainly a sex determinant matter in the scheme of things unless you wanted a colt and got a filly.

As far as inbreeding goes, in my opinion 3X3 is as close as I would want to go myself, other breeders may choose to inbreed closer, 2X3 or even 2X2. But in my opinion the Y matters little in the choices.

DDT

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:39 pm

DDT

understand

I was focused on the Y and overlooked the other genes the stallion contributes. And I have a 3S x 4D to Mr p with the worse knees I've ever seen; i.e., after that 3S x 3D is too close for me.

However, that 3S x 4D to Mr P has produced some nice correct foals when breed to a complete out--cross. Well, before someone corrects me, no line breeding in the 1st 5 generations is an out-cross to me

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]