Aldebaran as BM sire

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

pedigreeann
Weanling

Postby pedigreeann » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:59 am

I don't care who a mare's sire is IF SHE COULD RUN DECENTLY. The G1 winners by Rambunctious and That's a Nice, i. e. Jameela and Lady Shirl, were as good as producers as many a blue-blood. Likely Exchange may have been by Terrible Tiger (a son of *Amerigo, decent runner, eh! sire), but she won the Delaware H and foaled two G1 winners, including Creme Fraiche from 3 named foals.

A lot of the stallions who are less than stellar sires - although both Secretariat and Affirmed sired Eclipse champions in among their many SWs so I don't see how they can be considered failures - are so because they transmitted too much toward the stamina end for the current racing paradigm. Tabasco Cat, Pleasant Colony (with several sons), and Defensive Play are others who I believe have fallen into that category, and Dynaformer is probably destined that way, too. However their daughters can reinforce and 'stiffen the pedigrees' of their offspring with distance-limited speed sires, the type who command the highest fees these days.
There is no such thing as too much Teddy.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

stamina

Postby Joltman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:33 pm

If the Tabasco Cats, Defensive Plays et al throw too much stamina, do you breed them back to speed, or breed to their strength and hope that a race track writes a mile and a qtr race for them ? (PM had one yesterday...)

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

pedigreeann
Weanling

Re: stamina

Postby pedigreeann » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:06 am

Joltman wrote:If the Tabasco Cats, Defensive Plays et al throw too much stamina, do you breed them back to speed, or breed to their strength and hope that a race track writes a mile and a qtr race for them ? (PM had one yesterday...)

jm

'Fish and fowl' = sprinter parent with staying parent, sometimes works, as with Round Table - staying sire Princequillo with sprinting dam Knight's Daughter. But as they saying goes, the offspring often gets 'the speed of the stayer and the stamina of the sprinter,' or takes after one or another of the parents with no synergy. Breeding back toward the center of the distribution, miling types with some foot, is probably the best idea. Hard Spun rather than Henny Hughes, for instance.
There is no such thing as too much Teddy.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Re: stamina

Postby ct2346 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:02 am

pedigreeann wrote:Breeding back toward the center of the distribution, miling types with some foot, is probably the best idea. Hard Spun rather than Henny Hughes, for instance.

Sort of like an Aldebaran rather than an Elusive Quality....right?