New mare

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

New mare

Postby Barcaldine » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:01 pm

I picked up this mare a few days ago primarily because her 1/2 brother just won a Grade One stakes. However, the more I study her pedigree the more intrigued I am with the mating possibilities.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/beyond+paradise

Four crosses of NEARCTIC from three different sons! No Mr. P or Seattle Slew.

This mare has never been bred--the owner just had her turned out in pasture. She hasn't arrived at my farm yet so I don't know much about her conformation and temperament, so I cant make a firm mating decision yet. But my instinct tells me to breed her to a sound miler which is inbred to Mr. P or Seattle Slew, with no or little Northern Dancer.

My idea is to create a modified hybrid, so if I can avoid ND and a few other horses within her first five generations I can achieve my goal.

Or, possibly, PROUD CITIZEN, who has only one cross of Mr. P, but whose 3rd dam is a full-sister to Northern Dancer. He's crossed well with Langfuhr mares, too.

In the end, I will choose a horse which probably doesnt fulfill all my pedigree desires, but which is most likely to produce an athletically built foal.

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:39 pm

If you know nothing about her conformation, how do you know if she is even worth breeding? Conformation is a major part of breeding suitability. It isn't just paper throwing.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:47 pm

I know enough about her conformation to have bought her. She has sold well and I've been assured she has no major issues. Even if she werent acceptable on type, as a 1/2 to a G1 SW I would have bought her and bred her to the best looking horse I could find. It's surprising how many poorly conformed mares dont reproduce that.

I've written before about a mare I owned in the 1970's named DOUBLE SET. She was, without question, the worst conformed mare I have ever owned, and one of the worst I have ever seen. 14,2 hands, back in both knees, knock kneed, weak behind, straight shoulder, poor feet, etc. But she was a 1/2 sister to the good G2 SW NAVAJO, from the great ALCIBIADES family. I sold her early, but she later produced (to the cover of the beautifully-built VICE REGENT) the five time Grade One stakes winner TWICE THE VICE ($1.5 million).

Some mares throw completely to the stallion so if I have a marginal one I send her to the best looking horse I can afford.

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

Hat Trick?

Postby Affirmed1 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:55 pm

A++ TrueNick, similar cross as Dabirsim, Hat Trick's French G1 winner. He's not a made sire yet, but he has upside potential. :idea: It's possible you could get a deal on the stud fee. And Sunday Silence is definitely looking like a sire of sires.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:18 am

Smart Strike is the stallion for this mare.
Edited by Moderator

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:29 am

If you plan to breed this mare to sell the foal, Smart Strike all the way. No question, provided she's good up front.

Something that jumped out at me was the common strain between this female family's newest star and one from the past. Forest Camp is out of a Hold Your Peace mare. Khanbalic, daughter of Victory Chant, is the dam of Meadow Monster. Hold Your Peace might be good for this mare. French Deputy might be VERY good for her, if you can find him. Old Fashioned is out of a Meadowlake mare, from the family of Mitterand, without any ND. Notional is out of a French Deputy mare.

Another tack: with the Danzig and Clever Trick right there, Roberto is a no-brainer. Rock Hard Ten is free of ND, Johar ticks the boxes too. Spring at Last brings in a line to Deputy Minister, but he might work really well and is off to a decent start.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:11 am

Successful Appeal; has one line to ND, but what's one more? Works for the modified hybrid thing too.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:18 am

Mission Impazible is by Unbridled's Song out of Hold Your Peace mare. He might be a good look for next year.

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:00 pm

Sure looks like a solid broodmare acquisition. She had some try in her winning five races.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:29 pm

It is risky with every mating, but I really like her with Pulpit, a lot, but with the stud fee, it may be a bit much for her, depends on how much you like the cross, if you like it at all.

DDT

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:50 am

Mare just arrived and I'm pleased. Nice and correct, average size, doesnt appear to be a dingbat (a BIG plus). Feet are in bad condition so I will have to see if they shape up with care or if that's just who she is. I'll have a lot of fun with this one.

stlouiskid
Maiden Special Weight

Postby stlouiskid » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:14 pm

Really nice find, and she is not that old. Certainly has some nice value.
Her half brother, Camp Victory, what a disaster for West PointThoroughbreds. They lose the horse in a $40,000 claiming race in Febuary. Since then the horse wins a grade 3, runs second twice in a grade 1, and then wins a grade 1. They non stop are hyping up their horses, funny, I didn't see a mention on their website of this fiasco. I bet the investors on this horse are ticked off. Great claim and training job by Mike Mitchell.
Noticed that John Sadler is not listed on the roster of West Point trainers anymore either. Not one of his best moments losing a Grade 1 winner in the claiming box.

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:29 pm

The find wasn't very difficult. Barcaldine bred her.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:01 am

No, Dahlberg Ranch Inc (KY) was the breeder.

I LOVE this mare with Curlin.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:52 am

I like her with Curlin, too. He isn't the straightest horse in the world but she is remarkably correct so I might give the farm a call later this year. A real sweetheart, too, which always makes life easier for me.