Pedigree Advise Here

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Pedigree Advise Here

Postby Jeff » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:18 am

Please feel free to post your mare for Pedigree Advise here on this thread, we'll keep it strictly what stallion combination would look the best when matched to your mare using the Hypo Mating feature which is a service of web ventures who owns this forum, the pedigree query and allbreed query.

With the help of the moderators, we'll keep it friendly and strictly pedigree advice. :D

Jeff

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:50 am

Why clutter up the board with another redundant option? Isn't what's proposed already appropriate in the "Mating Advice" section under "Breeding"?
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:16 pm

Patuxet wrote:Why clutter up the board with another redundant option? Isn't what's proposed already appropriate in the "Mating Advice" section under "Breeding"?

I second the motion. (Besides, the correct spelling is "advice".) ;)

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Please feel free to post your mare for Pedigree Advice here on this thread, we'll keep it strictly what stallion combination would look the best when matched to your mare using the Hypo Mating feature which is a service of web ventures who owns this forum, the pedigree query and allbreed query.

With the help of the moderators, we'll keep it friendly and strictly pedigree advice. :D

Jeff :wink:

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:53 am

The way I understand Jeff's post, he is just suggesting that people could post here if they wanted to discuss a potential foal's pedigree ONLY; whereas the mating advice section would be where someone would post if they wanted to discuss all of the additional aspects of the mating as well, such as conformation, race record, "sale-ability," etc. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Jeff.)
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 am

Perhaps Jeff can enlighten us on his qualifications to offer 'advise.'

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:37 am

Any PQ member is welcome to offer advice; after all, these forums are meant to be a place where members can exchange ideas and opinions. We all realize that opinions typically range from one end of the spectrum to the other, and each person will give consideration to or ignore the opinions they are presented with as they see fit.

If someone wishes to pursue a business relationship with another member, requiring credentials or references, that is personal and should really be attended to via PM or other method of direct contact between the parties that are involved.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:47 pm

my suggestion is for those that are not interested in what jeff proposes not to participate..

Or, if Louis has been used up, Jeff could be the next Omega wolf. After all an Omega wolf is very necessary for the over all health of the pack. It gives the "want-to-be-alphas" a place to vent their frustrations instead of on each other. Allows them to bond and the pack becomes better at killing and devoring.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:21 pm

Do I understand correctly that those who do not have a paid subscription here can just put a request in and a paid member will take care of it? Could that be extended to a nine or ten generation pedigree?

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:28 pm

Roguelet wrote:The way I understand Jeff's post, he is just suggesting that people could post here if they wanted to discuss a potential foal's pedigree ONLY; whereas the mating advice section would be where someone would post if they wanted to discuss all of the additional aspects of the mating as well, such as conformation, race record, "sale-ability," etc. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Jeff.)

Yes Roguelet, that's what I've got in mind. A place where pedigree advice will be just about the pedigree and nothing else.

Recently, a poster requested information about a mare on the General forum, and another poster called the mare 'cat food'. I think that kind of rudeness is intolerable, and hopefully, with the help of a moderator, we can keep this thread friendly, and avoid that maliciousness.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:33 pm

griff wrote:my suggestion is for those that are not interested in what jeff proposes not to participate..

Or, if Louis has been used up, Jeff could be the next Omega wolf. After all an Omega wolf is very necessary for the over all health of the pack. It gives the "want-to-be-alphas" a place to vent their frustrations instead of on each other. Allows them to bond and the pack becomes better at killing and devoring.

griff

Griff,

I did eat a pork roast all by myself this past week-end, fork/knife weighing heavily on my conscience. :) I did share with my four dogs, my wife abstained because she's getting serious about F/K.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:23 pm

No Tappiano, you got it wrong.

But since you'r here, I'll just assume you want me to do a report on your mare Another G and her foal Earthly Delights? :D

http://www.pedigreequery.com/another+g
(USA) dkb/br. M, 2004 DP = 5-2-8-0-1 (16) DI = 2.20 CD = 0.63 - GSV = 59.74 - 17 Starts, 5 Wins, 4 Places, 3 Shows Career Earnings: $95,470 I see she's a dark bay or brown mare, she has 5 brilliant, 2 intermediate, 8 classic, zero show, and 1 professional dosage points for a total of 16 Chef De Race points with a dosage index of 2.20, a center of distribution of .63, and a George William Smith's Genetic Strength Value grasp score of 59.74.
Lovely line-bred 5X5 Ribot through Tom Rolfe, and His Majesty, and Lovely 5X5 Nearctic through sons Northern Dancer and Canadian Bred Briarctic who stood at Windfields.

I see that her 2nd dam, Margaret's Hope is a stakes winner.

By Ecton Park Forty Niner/Danzig stallion, out of Margs My Mom, Air Forbes One (Bold Ruler) / Commorant mare (Ribot).

One foal by Nobiz Like Shobiz and in foal to Artie Schiller, looks like pretty good stallion choices to me.

Jeff

Tappiano wrote:Do I understand correctly that those who do not have a paid subscription here can just put a request in and a paid member will take care of it? Could that be extended to a nine or ten generation pedigree?
:D :D

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Expert: I think that's "zero STOUT" points, not show points. Wrong sport.

Lovely.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:00 pm

Barcaldine wrote:Expert: I think that's "zero STOUT" points, not show points. Wrong sport.

Lovely.

This results in a Dosage Profile consisting of five separate figures, listed in order of Brilliant-Intermediate-Classic-Solid-Professional.

No it's not stout, it's solid, looks like I made a little typo, what's your excuse Barc? :lol:

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:27 am

Time out, please... There have been several recent issues on this board regarding people wanting to determine when a fellow member has the "right" to post his opinions, based on their own personal feelings. To be very clear: NOBODY on this board has the right to stop someone from sharing any opinion that falls within the guidelines explained in the forum rules, including moderators! We may not agree with something posted, but we will defend that poster's right to have and to share that opinion. All members will be given the opportunity to voice their opinions, because that is what these forums are here for. Rudely belittling someone for having an opinion or for sharing that opinion will not be tolerated.

Just as everyone is welcome to share their opinions, everyone is also welcome to respond with differing opinions, but both sides are required to retain some manners and play by the rules. If you disagree with someone's opinion, feel free to argue your points as much as you'd like to, just do so politely. If you think an entire thread is useless, by all means don't waste your time participating in it; but realize that a poster who feels that it might have some value has every right to participate in it, and respect their right to do so.

Recently a post was made in the General forum explaining what moderators are here to do. Ideas and thoughts are not to be censored here, but method of delivery is important; everyone is expected to lay off of the personal jabs and sniping comments. Please take the time to read the post if you haven't already. Here is a quote from it:

Many years ago the forum had an open format with no log-in and no moderation, and people were free to post whatever and however they wanted to. Personal attacks built up between posters, legal issues arose, and the site owners shut the forum completely down. They agreed to re-open the forum with the current log-in format ONLY on the condition that the forums would be moderated to prevent personal attacks from ever escalating again. The moderators are here to squelch personal attacks and potential legal issues, period. As for ideas and opinions- that is not what the site owners want moderated and that is not what the moderators are here to deal with.

Please also read the RULES posted at the top of each sub-forum. Every issue we have had on these forums goes back to something that is clearly communicated in those rules, so there is really no reason for these issues to keep coming up.