speightstown excels

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

stancaris
Restricted Stakes Winner

speightstown excels

Postby stancaris » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:18 pm

To all: Speightstown was the third leading sire this year in gross earnings and has so far gotten 8.7% stakes winners from foals (41 of 471) which is way above the majority of leading sires which are mostly in the 5-7% range.

Interestingly, Speightstown has Buckpasser as his third damsire and therefore will receive on the average around 12.5% of the genes that were present on Buckpassers Powerful X chromosome. Of course there are other contributors to Speightstown as well like Storm Cat his BMS and Gone West his sire etc. But I always look at the influential Buckpasser in the X position as a major factor.

Empire Maker the 2nd sire on the list and Tapit the fourth best also have Buckpasser in the X passing position.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:01 am

Stan,

I noticed Speightstown is #1 this wk on Blood Horse sire list. Super nice stallion.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:08 pm

Jeff wrote:Speightstown is #1 this wk on Blood Horse sire list.

And that is due in major part to the accomplishments of Reynaldothewizard which have nothing to do with Buckpasser's X chromosome since he's male and his only X comes from his dam, Holiday Runner, who has no Buckpasser in her pedigree.

David Dink recently posted a two-part, statistics-based analysis of The X-Factor (Large Heart) Theory that is of some interest in the context of the OP's notion that Buckpasser's X chromosome might be a "major factor" in the success at stud of Speightstown et al. Dink seems to think that the only "power" of the X is of the imaginary variety which is pretty much what the more definitive genomic evidence proves.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:58 pm

Stan,
I noticed Speightstown .#1 on Bloodhorse ' sire list this week, looks to me like there really is something to that Buckpasser X thing you talk about. So far all the arguements against have been unconvincing due the fact so many of the very best stallions have Buckpasser on their bottom side of the pedigree.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:51 pm

And it should be noted that he's more likely to carry a bigger % of the Secretariat X than Buckpasser. Also the % of inbreeding to Bold Ruler is pretty high. And quite a bit via two different Secretariat grandsons.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Jeff wrote:looks to me like there really is something to that Buckpasser X thing [Stan] talk[s] about

The 'Buckpasser X thing' has about as much merit as the idea that inbreeding to the Phalaris sire line is the primary cause of "unsoundness" in the contemporary TB and, apparently, is equally appealing to less discerning students of pedigree. Have a look at stallions who've been at stud a while but whose names have never appeared on any top 100 sires list (in other words consider all available information, not just that which confirms personal bias). Buckpasser is a not infrequent fixture of X passing pedigree positions among the not so 'very best' too.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:14 pm

Stan,

Thank you for bringing Speightstown to my attention, I've bred my Buckpasser mare to a Gone West line stallion using Speightstown as my inspiration. Thank you for bringing him to my attention. Stan Rocks!

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:29 pm

Funny to see that there are Stan groupies among the PQ Forum posters.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:53 am

George,

Didn't know you were a Pan Zareta groupie, congrats for coming out of the closet and identifying your preference :D

Stan's The Man! Any friend of Buckpasser is a friend of mine.

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:21 am

Stan

It should be noted here that the 471 figure is for named foals and yes the percentage is very high, however, if one looks at the superior runners listed on Sprightstown's page in the Bloodhorse Stallion Register, they list 27 superior runners, only 6 fillies make that list and could be considered as exposed to some of the genes carried on his X chromosome and being out of a daughter of Storm Cat, the leading broodmare sire as of this post, Sprightstown also carries genes from Secretariat's X chromosome. It is impossible for you, or anyone else for that matter, to determine what percentage of genes and where they came from are present in any horse just by reading a pedigree. If Sprightstown's X is so powerful why is it that his sons, who receive no X genes from him, far outnumber his superior daughters who do receive his X?

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:40 pm

Stan,

Speightstown is #1 stallion in the Northern Hemisphere this week. You predicted his excellence as a sire beforehand. Stan is a veritable pedigree prophet :!: :!:

The charlatans and false pedigree prophets sure are angry, but it doesn't change the fact; Speightstown is #1 stallion in the Northern Hemisphere this week. Good call Stan!

stancaris
Restricted Stakes Winner

email

Postby stancaris » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:18 am

Jeff: Could you send me your email address. I have something I would like to discuss with you regarding Buckpasser.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:07 am

You have mail Stan.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:24 am

Speightstown back to #1 Sire in the N Hemisphere this week. :D

da hossman
Allowance Winner

Postby da hossman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:55 am

All this talk about Buckpasser and yet no one mentions the significance of La Troienne via Buckpasser in Speightstown, and La Troienne in the dams of Speightstown's progeny?

Come on folks, don't fall into the 'male centric" delusions of Dosage and Nicking theorists - in the end success is more about the mares than the stallions.
A difference of opinion is what makes horse racing and missionaries.

Will Rogers