Pedigree Analysis - 2001 Model

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

Epso's Mom
Newborn

Postby Epso's Mom » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:42 am

I have owned this mare for a bit over a year, she has been learning depsite her mid teens the rudiments of being riden, she is adapting well as she has a great mind. Also she is more physicaly fit and enjoys the attention.
She is a tough cockie, very clean legs, good hooves, never complains exept if work is unusual, likes to please and to maintain a stiff upper lip.
But as our plan was to breed and that her mind and movment is quite nice despite some comformation challenges. I would welcome the good the bad and the ugly about her pedigree, I would also ( as I am considering one perticular stallion who despite being registered as a warm blood has seattle slew quite close on his mothers side ) would like to know what the bad side that would be.

Thanks for any information:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/epic+song
Hope is a thing with hooves

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:37 pm

What are you going to do with the foal? Race, dressage, eventing?

Epso's Mom
Newborn

Postby Epso's Mom » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:33 pm

As I have no knowledge or contacts in the racing world unless someone where to tell me she is amazingly well bred for racing ( in todays world) I have to say I would like to go for a nice hunter type capable of doing some dressage. Racehorse does not scream out at you when looking at her she is bulky through the shoulder, stouter legs and I often get asked if she is PRE or a mix with that king of breed.

Her jump is cute ( even tight knees) but she has never been trained ... therefore looking at her to find a possible eventer is a longshot... as she will not jump naturally, or go to a jump, she will always stop and trot over.

All I really would like to know is what her pedigree looks like for a sport horse... even low level.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:05 pm

You might try to contact Donna over at True Colours farm. She's breeding sport horses, and stands a lovely stallion.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:47 am

There are tons over on COTS.... sport horse breeding section. Share pictures you'll get tons of feedback :)

Epso's Mom
Newborn

Postby Epso's Mom » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:34 pm

Thank you both, as for COTH I read the forum but am a bit timid at getting blasted... as the few times I have posted that was the reaction.
I will contact Donna even if breeding to her stallion is probably out of the question as the distance would be onerous for live cover and I have a few possible woarmbloods in my area I might think of breeding to.... but they are so big I do not want a foal that will grow to 17 hands. The one I like has Seattle Slew close on the dam line and I am a bit affraid of putting more Slew with my mare as I want to be able to ride the horse one day and I am affraid of making the foal too hot.
As for conformation we are looking for a longer neck and shorter back.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:35 pm

If you aren't worried about producing a registered TB, then it opens up all sorts of AI options, including stallions that are too far away for live cover.
Good luck.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:01 am

If you are in Quebec check Carpe Demon he is at Helene Beland farm(the one that had the barn fie) in Calixa Lavallee.He is a 10 mover,very well made extremely nice tempered and throws excellent hunter type foals.She even bred him to horrible mares and he delivered a beautiful foal every single time.I am not sure she wants to stand him to the public but tell her I sent you,might help.And I have tons of pictures if him in my computers if needed.
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:42 am

Well, as indicated above her TB pedigree doesn't scream racing success, but then her pedigree sires are decent a couple generations back. Someone with a stallion with Ballade (from Devil His Due, St. Ballado etc) who look to add more Herbager might be of mild interest to someone so inclined. Especially someone with a new stallion who just wanted foals on the ground with a shot at doing something. The value might be there if she produced an outstanding looker.

Am curious why someone would export Akado to Wales???

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:05 am

I don't think that they are breeding to race but to ride,considering the area and the mare it certainly not for racing
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

Postby vineyridge » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:09 pm

True Colours Farms produces colored horses, not performers; I've done a complete study on the horses registered with the USET for her main stallion and none have had a performance except for one children's 1/2 QH jumper.

I personally would not double Seattle Slew for a performance horse. So far that just hasn't worked. There is a California breeder who stands a SS grandson, and she is a disaster to work with. Read the COTH breeding forum. If you are going to be breeding for sport, you want to stick to reputable stallion owners.
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

Epso's Mom
Newborn

Postby Epso's Mom » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:49 am

Thanks VineyRidge much obliged for your research, I have contacted Akado's owner in the past they are breeding him for steeplechasers from what I have deduced, I do not know how to research his progeny in the UK.
I was also real hesitant, despite conformation that could work adding SS to the mix...
Sport horse is what I am going for... she has a real cute jump... even if she will not volunteer to do it on her own... but that might be a mind thing.
I will follow up on your sugestion Joltman.

I will explore the Tb file as Sylvie Hebert has sugested we have some potentials in Quebec...