inbreeding combinations

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

Toccet02
Leading Sire

inbreeding combinations

Postby Toccet02 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:42 pm

much has been written about inbreeding to a certain sire, or mare, but what about successful combinations? Inbreeding to Secretariat AND Buckpasser AND . . .etc? Any studies?
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:18 pm

so . . . is this a really dumb question that's been written about a trillion times, or something that no one feels like elaborating on, or something too tricky to study? :wink:

----Arrested Development

3nutmeg
Maiden Special Weight

Postby 3nutmeg » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:17 am

I think this is an interesting idea. Unfortunatately I'm still learning about pedigrees. I would be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Wed May 01, 2013 5:12 pm

If by combinations you mean 'nicks', then they are myriad. The Nearco and his sons and grandsons nicked well with Princequillo and his sons and grandsons, and visa versa.

Fappiano nicks well with in reality. Buckpasser nicks well with In Reality,

Seattle Slew and Mr. P nick well with each other. Naskra nicked well with Bold Ruler dam lines.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:37 pm

I don't mean nicks . . .I mean inbreeding (both sire and dam side) to an ancestor somewhere in the first 5 gens...and also to another ancestor. For example http://www.pedigreequery.com/flashy+american
shows inbreeding to Aspidistra AND Rough 'N'Tumble. This makes Quiet American and Great Above pretty closely related, and no doubt the breeder wanted that family reinforcement, but you can't call it a nick, because Great Above is not the sure but great-grandsire of this horse.
see also
http://www.pedigreequery.com/sympathetic+miss with Lalun and Nearco.

----Arrested Development

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Actually, I didn't realize that a nick is the combo of sire LINE and damsire LINE..thought it was immediate sire and damsire nicking measured. However, my examples still hold up as a pattern that is not a nick, because the sirelines are different (Aspidistra's sireline would be Better Self, not Mr. P)

----Arrested Development

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:57 pm

Big Brown

Multiple linebreeding patterns

Then of course there's Ultimus, inbreed to Domino.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:43 pm

xfactor fan wrote:Big Brown

Multiple linebreeding patterns

Then of course there's Ultimus, inbreed to Domino.

Round table, Damascus, and ND are all repeated in the sire/dam side of BB's pedigree. This makes a good example of what I'm talking about.

Ultimus does not, because while he's closely inbred to Domino, there are no others he's inbred to--Stockwell is duplicated only on his dam's side.
Does SOMEONE see what I mean?

I may have to do research on this on my own, with all my free time. :lol:

----Arrested Development

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:17 pm

Well, you could take a look at High Time. By Ultimus out of a daughter of Domino.

High Time was blinding fast for 2 furlongs. And is found in Quarter Horse pedigrees.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:48 am

I just looked for repeated inbreeding combos for about 20 of the top earners of 2013 to date... and saw nothing.
Next...2012??

----Arrested Development

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:53 am

xfactor fan wrote:Well, you could take a look at High Time. By Ultimus out of a daughter of Domino.

High Time was blinding fast for 2 furlongs. And is found in Quarter Horse pedigrees.

No...High time has Domino 3X and no other repeats in 5 gens.
I'm looking for combinations of repeated sires.

----Arrested Development

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:47 pm

You might look at Fair Play / Rock Sand. Lots of good horses from this combination. Also if I'm understanding correctly Friars Carse might qualify.

Would the AP Indy x Storm Cat crosses qualify? There have been lots of these done in all sorts of combinations. Just looked at a pedigree--someone racing this year, that had that cross plus Gone West. Which doubled up Secretariat and Mr Prospector.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Since no one seemed to know what I meant, I have started doing my own research, tracking 5 gen pedigrees of winners on a simple spreadhseet.
200 winners so far since July 7 (any race, anywhere, any level, which may make this meaningless, but it's a place to start. I can rank by earnings later.
So far, it's best to have Mr. Prospector as your first dupe, with almost 24% of my 200 showing that, followed by a cross, especially with Northern Dancer duped in damside, followed by an outcross.
Since I have HRTV on in background all day, it's really quick to enter data and sort while I'm working.
Thoughts?

----Arrested Development

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:12 pm

to clarify, when I say "followed by" I mean the second best pedigree pattern , and then third best. More variations in inbreeding combinations so far than I would have thought. But way more Mr. P than I feared.

----Arrested Development